Saturday 20 July 2013

16 July 2013 (Day 197) – Death And Life

I wake up to find nothing’s changed and so I resolve to see my doctor.

My clinic takes daily appointments at the same time each morning.  As I wait for that to tick over I watch the Today program and see an incredibly touching piece of footage.  It was of a woman dying of cancer in hospital who receives a phone call from her idol, Bette Midler.  On the footage I saw (its apparently on You Tube and runs for 9 minutes), Midler asks if there is anything she could do for her; the dying woman asks her to sing Wing Beneath My Wings.  Bette, presumably unaware she’s being filmed, then sings it, clearly crying at one point.  Only her dying fan can see the performance via a smart phone which prevents us from seeing it.  It is simultaneously touching, uplifting and incredibly sad (the woman died a few days later) and earns my admiration for everyone involved.
Shortly afterwards, I’ve made my appointment but the memory of the video remains with me.  I muse over the way in which people respond to the knowledge of their own impending deaths.  Some find solace in a variety of mechanisms – prayer, visits from friends and music among them.  Some refuse treatment and others bury themselves in work.  And then there’s Warren Zevon.

(AV 26) Warren Zevon – VH1 (Inside Out) (2004)
This was the obvious DVD in my pile to watch.  It is a documentary which shows Zevon’s response to the cancer diagnosis that ultimately killed him, compiled largely from a video diary he kept for most of this period, encompassing recording sessions and a David Letterman Show appearance that turned out to be his last live performance. Refusing chemotherapy, he decided to record as many songs as possible in the estimated 6 month period he had been given.  He has little difficulty in having musician friends assist him in the studio including Jackson Browne, Don Henley, Timothy B Schmidt, Ry Cooder and Bruce Springsteen among others.  Parts of it make for difficult viewing, especially his goodbyes to people in New York City, his increasingly obvious physical deterioration and growing realisation of his fate.  The pain is especially visible as he struggles to complete the vocals for the final two tracks recorded for his The Wind album, Disorder In The House (the track with Springsteen) and the poignant Keep Me In Your Heart.  Despite all of that, the documentary ends on a relatively happy note with the disclosure the he outlived the 6 month prognosis which was long enough to see the birth of twin grandchildren.

(AV 27) I’m Not There (2007)
This is the biopic that was inspired by and based on the life of Bob Dylan.  It was co-written and directed by Todd Haynes in an non linear fashion clearly influenced by Dylan’s structure of Chronicles Volume One.  Like the book, not every aspect of Dylan’s life is touched upon and the storytelling moves around a number of phases of his career.  But what Haynes added to the mix was turning aspects of each of these phases into fiction, with one character in each clearly modelled on the Dylan of the era.  For the most part, I could discern what was happening in almost all of the stories with the possible exception of the one involving Richard Gere.  This part seems to refer to the Rolling Thunder Revue, as seen when a heavily disguised Calexico performs Goin’ To Acapulco, and contains references to the Pat Garrett movie (Gere’s character is Billy the Kid) but I couldn’t work out the connection.  The parts involving Cate Blanchett as the electric Dylan and Christian Bale as the folkie Dylan are the most straight forward and impressive.   To fully appreciate this, you must have a familiarity with Dylan’s life, otherwise, I’d suggest you read the Wikipedia entry about the movie before you start.

But there wasn’t much time to contemplate the movie.   By the time it ended, I headed off to the doctor who diagnosed a viral infection and prescribed antibiotics.  This in itself is a sign of the nature of my illness as the Doc normally doesn’t do this. 
Somehow, I think I’ll be watching more DVDs over the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment