Monday 9 September 2013

31 August & 1 September 2013 (Days 243/244) – The otis.youth Music Little Room Of Fame

On Friday night “M” and I attended a charity dinner.  The usual elements were there; silent auctions, raffle tickets, speeches, a comedian MC, three course meal and music for dancing.  But there was a special musical guest and that turned out to be Diesel.  He produced a highly effective 5 song 30 minute set solo and unaccompanied except for an acoustic or electric guitar.  Hit singles All Come Together and Tip Of My Tongue got a run as did a couple of covers, one of which a superb version of Otis Redding’s (Sittin’ On The) Dock Of The Bay.  I suspect the remaining track was probably new.   A cover band provided dancing music, and whilst they turned out highly proficient versions of appropriate tunes, somehow the passion for the music wasn't really there.  Or maybe I was spoilt by the cover band I saw a number of months back.

But that was it for the entire weekend as a variety of activities kept me out of the house and away from the CD player.  The Bulldogs signed off their 2013 season with a reasonable win over Melbourne leaving supporters with plenty of hope for 2014 and beyond.  Among the activities I did undertake whilst at home was adding a couple of items to my Music Little Room Of Fame.
The little room in question is a toilet and I’ve taken every step to ensure that its décor fits in with the rest of the house.  Essentially every house or major space in our house has unifying wall colours utilising one of three colours – separate ones for feature walls, “water rooms” (i.e laundry, toilet, bathroom, etc) and the remainder.  The walls of each room or space are kept either vacant or are decorated with items on a particular theme.  These items are things that have meaning to either “M” or myself (and usually both of us) being objects, photos, posters, maps, etc we’ve collected or created during our lives, usually together.  The one exception are the frames containing photos of myself from my world travels in the pre “M” era;  she’s still to select equivalent photos from her pre “otis” travel period.

The o.yMLRHoF draws from my collection of music related memorabilia I’ve gathered over the years, mostly from gigs, a shelving unit that houses part of my music library and some other stuff.  “M” doesn’t have a say in what’s selected other than vetoing display of set lists from certain gigs I've managed to snaffle.  Her reasoning is solely on aesthetic grounds, arguing that these detract from the overall scheme, and I must say she’s probably correct.  She’s even contributed to it; a couple of years ago she gave me a reproduction poster of The Beatles Abbey Road poster which sits immediately behind the toilet unit itself. 
For most people, the room is dominated by the signed reproduction lithographic print of the entire gatefold image of The Rolling Stones Black And Blue album which I purchased at one of their gigs here. The image is dominated by Jagger’s face and lips which is usually what first time visitors to the house are confronted with when they pay a visit to this room.  (I always keep door shut when first timers visit to magnify the effect.)  Immediately above it is a marvellous poster for Neil Young’s Myer Music Bowl Show of about 5 years ago; this is a print of a painting showing him seated in his LincVolt car.  To the left of these, is a Pearl Jam poster for a Rod Laver Area gig over 10 years ago that is a painting of pearl fisherman in scuba suits.  It was never my intention for this poster to go there but the poster made such a brilliant fit with a white IKEA display board I bought that it demanded to go there. 

Below the Stones poster sits a signed poster for The Church’s 2002 Australian tour, signed by all 4 current members.  Next to it are the weekend’s two additions, a Hamer Hall playbill for a Randy Newman/Melbourne Symphony Orchestra about three years ago and a poster for a show by local blues legend Chris Wilson that I removed from the wall of the venue after the gig.  Also on that wall is a marvellous portrait poster for P.J Harvey’s 2004 Australian tour and the poster for The Saints’ 2009 show at The Forum.  Sitting underneath this wall is a small IKA shelving unit that holds many of the smaller paperback items from my music library.  On top of this lies the last copy or two of the latest issues of Mojo or Uncut along with my spare set of reading glasses and two standing photo frames.  One of these contains the ticket images from this year’s Neil Young and Springsteen shows and the other features a postcard sent to me from Washington DC  by a friend that portrays Elvis Presley and Richard Nixon when the former dropped by The White House.
Position yourself on the toilet and you can gaze at the wall facing you and its delights as well as the hand basin.  At the top of this wall is another white IKEA display board in which I’ve placed 4 black and white A2 sized handbills for memorable gigs I’ve attended; these include a 1980’s Billy Bragg show, R.E.M’s first Melbourne show in 1989, a 1993 Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds performance and one of Iggy Pop’s Festival Hall gig on his Instinct tour.  Underneath this are three colourful prints; for Gillian Welch’s 2004 shows at the Prince Of Wales Hotel, a superb Mark Lanegan Band print from a show around that time and a signed one advertising the Australian tour by the remnants of the MC5 about 8 years ago.  On this wall is also another Hamer Hall playbill for a Patti Smith show in 2008, a postcard for a Kraftwerk gig I stumbled across during my travels in Europe and the elaborate colourful ticket for the wonderful Prince performance I saw in Nice, France in 1998.

Look to my right whilst sitting on the toilet and three large colourful posters fill the space between the door and the back wall. On top is just about my favourite item, a poster for the 2002 Australian Tour by the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion which is a wonderfully treated portrait shot of the man himself, Underneath this is the poster for Springsteen’s 2003 Telstra Dome gig which I peeled off the outer boards of a construction site in inner suburban Melbourne, and underneath that the poster for Radio Birdman’s reunion tour.
Sufficient space still exists to add more items.  Certainly there are some acts I’d love to see represented including Sonic Youth, Mudhoney, Husker Du and Pink Floyd. I’m mulling over placing some album covers to represent some of these acts; I’ve got the cover to Dylan’s Highway 61 Revisited album framed but think the frame it’s in occupies too much space to justify its placement at the moment. But my mind is also thinking about what to do there, especially when I do things there, and will eventually know when something appropriate comes along.

No comments:

Post a Comment