Saturday 14 September 2013

4 September 2013 (Day 247) – An Addition To The .youth Clan

Sometime yesterday, probably whilst I was playing either Mark Lanegan’s The Winding Sheet or Pete Townshend’s Empty Glass, the numbers of the .youth inner circle increased by one.  One of my siblings and their spouse became the proud parents of a healthy child; our love goes out to the little one. 

However, it might be a while before I get to see the latest .youth bundle of joy as “M” has come down with a severe dose of influenza.  Obviously no one, least of all mother and child, would want to be cradled and kissed by someone who is a potential germ carrier.  And so I needed to think of some grand gesture.
Naturally, the bub was on my mind when I sat down at work this morning and I selected album that many fans of my age would probably choose in celebrating such a moment:

(# 578) Stevie Wonder – Songs In The Key Of Life (1976)
Although arguably Wonder’s best album and also widely regarded as one of the landmark soul/r&b albums ever released, the main reason for playing this is due to the presence of Isn’t She Lovely, a song about the wonders of birth that has a universal feel good vibe that can be appreciated by any new parent irrespective of the baby’s gender. A lot of the rest of the album deals with a person’s life cycle with the presence of some social aware tracks such as Village Ghetto Land and Black Man suggesting the life cycle for an African American. However, the album has been embraced by successive generations since its release impressed by Wonder’s insistence in the power of love and a belief in god.  And it’s also got on it Sir Duke and Pastime Paradise which Coolio subsequently sampled in creating Gangster’s Paradise.

Once I heard Isn’t She Lovely I had an idea.  I cued my boom box back to the start of the track, rang the mother in the hospital and after a few words started to play it over the phone.  Although I didn’t know it at the time, child was resting on top of mother as I played it, which probably accounted for latters tears of gratitude when I started to talk to her again. 
After that I had a number of varied tasks to attend to and it was a while before I could add to the playlist.  Still feeling a warm inner glow over the events of the morning and still being in a celebratory mood I opted for:

(# 579) Dolly Parton – Little Sparrow (2001)
I usually don’t spend too much time analysing lyrics but I think I’ve sussed out that the title track really isn’t a song that one ought to celebrate a new life.   Yet I’m taken by the chorus of and early lines of the song which convincingly convey the essence of a young innocent in need of guidance in the face of what can be a cruel world.  And the track also sets the tone for this wonderful album of bluegrass music sung and impeccably played by Ms Parton.  Originals such as the title track go head to head against some well chosen and odd covers such as Cole Porter’s I Get A Kick Out Of You, Steve Young’s Seven Bridges Road (a song more familiar to listeners by The Eagles cover on their live album) and Collective Soul’s Shine.  Parton’s career and catalogue is a daunting one and, apart from a well selected anthology, this is as good a place as any to enter it.

(# 580) Julian Cope – 20 Mothers (1995)
One of Cope’s last commercially successful albums, this is a pretty accessible and enjoyable album of his form of psychedelic rock and folk but with added lashings of other genres.   Nowhere is this better seen in the hit single Try Try Try which veers dangerously close to being classified as an infectious pop song. But he wisely placed this track in the midst of a number of his more patented musically and lyrically eccentric tracks (Wheelbarrow Man, I Wandered Lonely As A Cloud and Stone Circles ‘N’ You) to keep fans happily bemused.  For new parents there’s also Queen/Mother, I’m Your Daddy and Cryingbabiessleeplessnights to chew over.  And there’s also the front cover image of 20 mothers that includes Mrs Cope (second from right first row).


No comments:

Post a Comment