Saturday 25 May 2013

22 May 2013 (Day 142) – Life and Death, or, “M” and Ray Manzarek

I returned to work today, “M” having sufficiently recovered to not require my presence.

At work there was so much to do - a briefing from Jack, emails to trawl through and meetings to attend – that at times I was able to forget about “M”.  However, there was always another colleague enquiring about her state to jolt me back into reality.  Eventually, I took a moment to have a cup of tea and scan The Age online.  There was another jolt of reality when I read that Ray Manzarek of The Doors had died of cancer. 
The Doors are one of those acts that evoke strong reactions from people.  Inevitably, those reactions are not really about the musical merits of the band but more likely about the cult of Jim Morrison.  To me Morrison was nothing more than the lead singer and key lyricist of the band.  I’ve never bought into most of his lyrics and have never regarded him as a great poet.  It’s nothing personal here, but I’ve never really developed an appreciation for poetry, an art form I consider to be easily the most pretentious of them all.  If anything, many of Morrison’s lyrics are true relics of the 60s containing words or phrases that immediately date them today.   Had he not died young, Morrison’s literary abilities would today be regarded as little more than that of a beatnik.  Manazrek as Jim’s greatest advocate, enabler and keeper of the flame, was always on hand to put up a spirited defence on behalf of his friend.

But it is the music of The Doors that has endured over the years and it was Manzarek as its musical director that needs to take much of the credit.  He was responsible for the band’s true defining feature – its keyboard sound – which allowed Robbie Krieger’s guitar and John Densmore’s drums to flourish.  By additionally taking responsibility for the role traditionally undertaken by the bass guitar, he was one of the first visionaries to challenge the basic singer – drums – guitar – bass – keyboard band format.  Acts through the years as diverse as The White Stripes, Morphine, Om, The Black Keys and many others are clearly in his debt. 
Before hearing the news of his death, I’d been too busy to play anything but decided on a memorial retrospective.  As I’d already played L.A Woman this year – Manzarek’s playing on Riders On The Storm  being one of its major highlights -  I decided to start at the beginning;

(#373) The Doors – The Doors (1966)
I remember reading an assessment in a book that resides somewhere on my bookshelves that held it was hard to think of a better debut album in the entire history of rock by an act whose members were all previously unknown.  That thought has always stayed with me, and years later, I still cannot think of a single alternative.  As with many Doors albums the key tracks were placed at the start or end of its original vinyl sides.  Break On Through (To The Other Side) provided an immediate and effective introduction.  Light My Fire provided the monster hit and with The End was the first of a number of memorable tracks greater than 6 minutes in length.  And all this is before factoring in tracks such as The Crystal Ship, Soul Kitchen and their memorable covers of Back Door Man and Alabama Song (Whiskey Bar).

By my retrospective was fated to end there.  Shortly after lunch “M” rang me.  She was in tears and it took a long time before I was able to comprehend what she’d told me.  Tests had confirmed that what had been removed during her surgery was benign.  She wasn’t to be condemned to the same fate as Ray Manzarek.
Before long I had provided input to Jack on a pressing matter, bashed out a triumphant thank you email to the small circle of colleagues who knew what was at stake and was in the car headed for home.  I stopped to purchase a bottle of the sparkling wine previously known in Australia as champagne and entered the house.  “M” wasn’t all that surprised to see me but it was quite a while before we let go of each other.

The last few weeks had been tough mentally as I’d started to let the prospect of a life without “M” intrude on my thinking.  But I couldn’t let it show, especially, to her.   I’d been reasonably confident for most of the journey that this life affirming diagnosis would be the ultimate outcome.  For “M” the entire journey had been, quite understandably, the opposite.  Although music played no role in the day’s outcome, it had provided quite the unexpected counterpoint.   Incredibly, a day that had begun with my mourning for someone I’d never met had morphed into a day for celebrating the continued life with the person I knew better than anyone else on the planet (and vice versa).  Not surprisingly, I felt a huge sense of relief.
But it was not to be a sensation shared by the rest of my body…….

No comments:

Post a Comment