Tuesday 7 May 2013

3 May 2013 (Day 123) – American Rockers

I’m not sure what happened today but found myself more or less going on a regional rock ‘n roll tour of the States. 

This something I would dearly love to do at some stage of my life.  Take a trip across the highways of the USA and visit all of the sites associated with the music that obsesses me.   I’m not exactly just how I would structure it, but I think I would start in Chicago and their blues sights and then travel south to New Orleans with a side trip into Texas before heading north again, through Memphis and Nashville up to New York City and Boston.  But if time was my enemy, I think I’d take Amanda Petrusich’s brilliant book It Still Moves Lost Songs Lost Highways & The Search For The Next American Music and retrace her steps.  Although the specifics escape me as I write this, I was particularly taken by her stay in cotton sharecropper shacks in the South that have been converted into tourist accommodation.  I’d go in summer, take a view beers and sit on the porch and ponder the harsh life that gave birth to the blues and ultimately rock’n’ roll.
These are the sorts of through that go my head these days whenever I play albums by some of these dyed in wool, heart on sleeve American rockers starting with:

(#335) Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers – Southern Accents (1985)
Hard to believe now but I seem to remember that this album wasn’t all that well received in the States when it was originally released.  I suspect it is because Petty was trying to assert his pride in the Southern States of his childhood.  Whatever you might think about that stance – to an Australian like myself, I find it irrelevant – this album probably contains his best batch of tunes.  Rebels is a great rocker and perfect opener, Don’t Come Around Here No More injects some welcome psychedelica and Dogs On The Run employs horns to great effect.  But ultimately everything is shadowed by the closer, the sublime The Best Of Everything which sounds like The Band taking on Van Morrison’s horn driven classic Wonderful Remark.

(#336) John Cougar Mellencamp – Uh-Huh (1983)
Whilst known as Johnny Cougar, this artist had a couple of hits in Australia where he was ultimately regarded as a top 40 singer.  Although this was something like his seventh album, it was the first one to reveal that there was any real substance.  Basically, it’s a rather nifty collection of rocking tunes, some of which, Pink Houses and Authority Song hinted at the social commentator role to which he aspired and evolved.  But it was the straight ahead relatively meaningless rockers such as Crumblin’ Down, Play Guitar, Serious Business and Lovin’ Mother Fo Ya that best hit the mark.

(#337) Bob Seger And The Silver Bullett Band – Live Bullett (1976)
Take a regional rock hero such as Seeger, put him in from of his home crowd of Detroit at practically the height of his fame, record it and release it as a two disc vinyl set and you’d think you’d have the sort of  release that today gives the live album a bad name.  But there are two problems with such an attitude.  First, this was released in 1976, before all those horrible Frampton Comes Alive knock offs came out.  But even more importantly, this is really, really, seriously good.   It kicks off with a great reworking of Nutbush City Limits, encompasses a solid take on Van Morrison’s I’ve Been Working, a nice version of Bo Diddley and closes with a rousing Let It Rock. In between is basically the cream of the Seger catalogue up to that moment, the then unknown Travelin’ Man and Beautiful Loser segueing beautifully into each other, a strong Turn the Page and ball tearing versions of Katmandu and Get Out Of Denver.

(#338) The Hold Steady – Boys & Girls In America (2006)
A few years ago, The Hold Steady were being touted as the next big rock act with Craig Finn’s songwriting skills and the word “Springtseenesque” frequently appearing in the same sentence.  This album and its successor, Stay Positive were the reason for the fuss.  Both combined no frills rock with Finn’s literate lyrics as on this album’s highlights, Chips Ahoy!, Chillout Tent (a story of love lost and found at a music festival) and Southside Girls.  However, Finn’s voice is not to everyone’s taste and their most album Heaven Is Whenever wasn’t either.

1 comment: