Friday 10 May 2013

4 & 5 May 2013 (Days 124 & 125) – otis.youth live!

The weekend arrived but I’m still at work.  I’ve spent it representing my employer at a conference as well as delivering a paper and doing some speaker introductions.   

I’ve never seemed to have a problem with public speaking, which is something I’ve done on numerous occasions in the past.  I have few concerns about my paper which is on a topic I’ve frequently spoken.  Therefore my worries are strictly about my delivery, or dare I say it, the quality of my performance.
During a spare moment to myself, I muse about just how analogous my situation would be to that of the average rock star. Some of the differences are fairly obvious - no backstage, no rider, a much smaller crowd and absolutely zero prospect of groupies.   But I suspect the similarities are much more striking.  As I’m not disconnected from reality by alcohol or drugs, I worry about whether I don’t sound as though I’m delivering a rote, practically committed to memory presentation completely devoid of personality.  I hope I don’t forget lyrics (i.e fluff key points), that the P.A system (a microphone actually) I’ll be given to use works and that my back projection (i.e my PowerPoint presentation) doesn’t malfunction.

As I’m appearing at a conference, it could also be suggested that I’m not headlining my own gig but is one of numerous acts at a music festival.  I’m presenting in the area with the greatest audience capacity so it’s safe to suggest I’m on the equivalent of the festival main stage.   As my presentation is not a keynote address, it’s also safe to say I’m not the headliner, despite going on late in the day.  Despite being on a festival bill, I suspect I’ll be largely speaking to those who would want to hear “my message” or are “fans” (in this instance of my employer, not me).  There is a possibility though, should the punters not want to attend the parallel sessions on offer on the other “stages” that I’ll pick up a few curious onlookers and convert them to our cause.
And so it’s gig time.  I don’t have a walk on theme but I do receive a nice introduction from the President of the organising body.  I’m handed the mic and step into the limelight.  The conference “roadies” had already loaded my presentation into the computer and so I’m straight into it.  From this point onwards, I’m focused on my presentation and am especially conscious of the need to stay within the allocated time. I speak well although I occasionally send the presentation into reverse but the feedback is good.  Afterwards, a number have stayed behind to chat.  I give time to everyone even though I’m itching to check into my hotel for the night, grab something to eat and speak to “M”.

Of course, I could not do this all on my own.  For inspiration, I needed something reflective and yet simultaneously inspirational for my lengthy drive to and from the gig venue.  The following album delivers this in spades;
(# 339) Metallica And The San Francisco Symphony Orchestra – S + M (1999)

I must admit that I was dubious when I first heard about this album.  How could a symphony orchestra possibly compete with the kings of all things heavy? Fortunately, unlike other bands who have attempted this in the past, Metallica hit on the perfect collaborator for such a project. Michael Kamen had composed full bore orchestra scores for such Hollywood blockbusters as the first three Die Hard movies a couple of Lethal Weapons and other like films in which he was able to use the orchestra to either counter point or underscore various explosions and other similar moments.  He succeeded brilliantly in this task, finding tracks in their catalogue where sufficient space existed for the orchestra’s inclusion.  Of course, none of this would have mattered had the band not performed at maximum intensity ion the nights this was recorded; indeed, they seemed to play with such a ferocity that I don’t think I’ve heard on their mass released live recordings.  If it exists, I’d love to obtain a copy of this album without the orchestra.
The first disc of this double CD is nothing short of perfect and could have easily been released as a standalone album.  It begins with the orchestra playing their rendition of Metallica’s traditional walk on music, Ennio Morricone’s The Ecstasy Of Gold.  (Listen for the roar of the audience when they realise this was occurring.)  The band then joins them for the 9 minute instrumental The Call Of Ktulu, a fitting nod to co-writer Cliff Burton who had posed the idea years previously prior to his death and, for once, a deserved winner of that year’s Grammy Award for that most ridiculous of categories “Best Rock Instrumental Performance”.  This leads straight into a truly awesome rendition of Master Of Puppets, arguably the band’s best ever of this chestnut, with a major sing-along rendition by the audience. A turbocharged version of Fuel (easily outstripping the original studio version in power), The Memory Remains and the unreleased No Leaf Clover also stand out and Bleeding Me provides an enigmatic end to the first disc. Nothing Else Matters and Until It Sleeps starts the second disc in a similar mode which is quickly redressed by For Whom The Bells Tolls and Wherever I May Roam.  However, after this the quality dips.  There is a seriously heavy Sad But True but, for the first time, the orchestral accompaniment sounds like it’s been thrown on after the fact.  A shortened version of One simply doesn’t work, the orchestra merely plays along with Enter Sandman and is overwhelmed at the end by a ferocious Battery.  It almost sounds as though Kamen had produced his score in the order in which the songs were to be played in the shows and simply ran out time to do justice the final numbers.  Still, don’t let this deter you.  This is the one album that demonstrates that a mixture of classical and hard rock can actually work.

No comments:

Post a Comment