Friday 15 February 2013

15 February 2013 (46) – Music and Me

Not only was this a day without music, it was also infused with a great deal of sadness.  As I was about to leave my office for my first meeting, “M” rang me to advise that a former colleague of hers from her homeland had finally succumbed to cancer after a two year fight.  I had met Tess a number of times on our various trips back to visit “M”’s family and friends.

Ordinarily, I would have absorbed the shock by playing something.  On this occasion, it would certainly have been Gary Moore’s Still Got The Blues because she played the album as background music the last time she hosted us.  But just by remembering the Moore album, which I then thought an odd choice for a dinner party hosted by a woman well into her 60’s, was sufficient to think about her funky apartment, the wonderful food and the laughs we shared.
A series of lengthy meetings, later it was time to catch up with “M” as she was having drinks with her work colleagues.  I’d given her the option of opting out of our dinner but she was determined to go ahead as her way of coping with the news and so we went dining at a favourite restaurant in the City. Normally, we have a great time but it wasn’t fun.  The news was undoubtedly a factor but for me there was another factor, the background music.

I’ll explain.  To me having music in my life is akin to having food, drink, love, family, good friends and work. Miss out on all of these and you cannot be born, nurtured or sustained.  Music fits into the last category. It is something you seek and find that you think will enrich your life, give expression to how you feel or validate your view on life.   Good music nourishes me.  I don’t mean here that it influences my beliefs or attitudes; this is a figment of the imagination of fanatics or the deeply bereaved who desperately (and in the latter case, understandably) want to believe that music, like violent media, holds some form of power that prevails over inevitably weak minds, breaks down non existent rational thought processes and causes previously unimaginable thoughts and deeds in otherwise sane individuals .  Whilst some rock stars will write songs about issues and publicly endorse them, they are seeking to influence you thought process not ccast a demonic spell you cannot break if you tried.
Instead I see things like this.  There’s a hell of a lot of music out there.  By this, I’m not speaking in terms of genres or labels but rather its role and context in life.  There are forms of music out there that attempt to influence how you think in a given context.  Just off the top of my head there are political forms (think national anthems and the like) and business forms (e.g commercials, jingles, muzak in elevators, anonymous “calming” music on complaint phone lines etc) among many others.  You cannot escape from these.  On the other hand you can choose whether you want to engage and the degree of engagement in the various genres of music as a form of enjoyment, relaxation or validation. In other words, I believe that people gravitate towards the form of music with which they fell comfortable or which expresses how they feel.  If they don’t feel an attachment at all, they’ll leave it alone.  This is what those who want to set controls on certain forms of music fall to appreciate.  A teenage who has, say committed suicide while listening to song like Suicide Solution has not been driven to kill themselves by the song.  More likely they found something which, irrespective of whether they have correctly interpreted its true meaning or not, they think will best communicate to anyone why they have taken the action.

I need to hear music on a daily basis.  But more importantly it is music that I want to hear.  I don’t know about you but for me one of life’s little pleasures is hearing something you really love cropping up in a place you never expect to hear it.  Think about favourite tracks you may have that pop up on a movie soundtrack, in a commercial, over a shop PA, on a radio station overseas, etc and you get the general idea.  And ultimately that’s what got to me last night.  I’d had the busy day and the sad news and ultimately when I needed something to help me make sense of the world, I was left at the mercy of playlist.  Hearing Roxette’s Greatest Hits was never going to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment