Sunday 24 February 2013

23 & 24 February 2013 (Days 54 & 55) – My definition of music

It has been a very full weekend with no time set aside for any serious listening.

“Serious listening”, now there’s a phrase.  This is when I’m able to devote all of my energy to the act of listening.  Elements - a comfortable position and either headphones or the stereo very loud.  During such sessions I can pick out lyrics (and occasionally understand them) and hear details I might not necessarily catch.  My body relaxes , tension subsides and I feel as though I’ve dissolved into the atmosphere along with the music.  At this point, I’m usually oblivious to everything around me; if “M” needs me for anything, she knows she’ll have to come to wherever I’m located and disturb my state.
It’s one of the strange aspects of my own existence.  Unlike many people in the world, I need noise to relax.  Silence is a state to be avoided at all costs; to me it means death and I know I’m going to dead for a long time.  Noise provides evidence of human existence, especially at night.  Music, is a form of harmonious, rhythmic or expressive noise and is for me the most desired evidence of human existence.  If the music is really good, I find myself wanting to join in and add to it; this is why I think I tap, stomp, clap or singing along to favourite pieces of music.

But there is an incredibly fine line between noise and music.  We don’t all regard the same harmonies, rhythms or expressions as music.  What I might consider music, you might think of as noise and vice versa.  Personally, I find it extremely difficult to listen to arias and most falsetto singing; it doesn’t appeal to me and as such I regard it as noise.  I’d rather hear a combination of sounds that has come from man made instruments that can be manipulated in innumerable ways and which a musician has personalised through combinations of their own playing style, lyrics, the sound of their actual voice and any other naturally occurring sounds.  This is probably why I’d rather not hear arias and falsettos; they’re striving to produce a homogeneous sound, a form of aural commodity.  Yes, there are tenors, sopranos, etc, but they’re all instructed to sing the same songs in exactly the same manner, the only real difference being the sound of their voice.  But individuality is generally not prized here, it is the expectation that the musicians involved faithfully reproduces something that has been set out almost like following a dress pattern.   This is where the commodity analogy comes in.  Take your humble cardboard box as an example.  They come in different  shapes, sizes, materials, patterns, lids, colours, etc but ultimately my opinion about any one box will be shaped by whether it is able to do what it is supposed to do and not whether it has a distinctive personality.   In other words, music is a man made noise that, in my view, requires the individual who created it to put a distinctive stamp on it that appeals to me. 
I have no idea from where the preceding paragraphs emanated.  They just flowed off the keyboard as I wrote.  The weekend’s listening focused on some Australian acts that have never really hit any form of mass popularity.

(146) Magic Dirt – Snow White
This was the last Magic Dirt album to have been released on an Australian major label.  The sound is a little more scuffled up that its predecessor Tough Love and is all the better for it.   They’ve since stayed true to this vision but have dropped from the scene following the death of their bassist Dean Turner.  Adalita’s solo success will probably ensure that it will be a while longer before they return, if at all.

(147) The Mess Hall – For The Birds
It’s amazing how sometimes bands from different parts of the world can arrive at the same point simultaneously.  The Mess Hall are a Sydney based two piece drum and guitar combo who formed in 2001, the same year as The Black Keys.  (Of course bands were probably inspired by The White Stripes.)  This is about their 5th or 6th  and most recent album and it sees them consolidating their sound.

(148 ) Died Pretty – Free Dirt (extended version)
Easily one of the finest bands to emerge from Sydney during the 1980’s, Died Pretty became a firm favourite with Melbourne punters.  With their sense of melody marrying the epic guitar heroics of Brett Myers, a deep keyboard sound and the distinctive vocals from the charismatic Ron Peno, it wasn’t all that difficult to see why.  Free Dirt was their first album and has been expanded by Aztec records to include period singles and EPs some demos and 6 live tracks.  The only problem I’ve had with the album is its track listing.  The original vinyl Side 1 comprised 4 epic numbers only one of which is less than 5 and a half minutes.  It includes some of the highlights of the live set from their gigs during this time especially Just Skin and Next To Night.  (An example of the former is included in the live tracks.)  Side 2 comprises shorter, more commercial type numbers which can be heard as a letdown.  I always played the vinyl in reverse order and imported the tracks the same way onto my iPod.  Among the highlights of the bonus material, are the Stoneage Cinderella single, a demo version of Dylan’s From A Buick 6 and a live version of their classic single Everybody Moves.

No comments:

Post a Comment