Monday 18 February 2013

17 February 2013 (Day 48) – Synch Or Swim

Damn this hot weather.  I was going to journey today to a wedding reception place and bingo hall in Altona (again!!) for the second day of the All Tomorrow’s Parties Festival.  Yesterday was headlined by Swans, Godspeed You Black Emperor! and My Bloody Valentine.  Today features curators The Drones, plus The Beasts Of Bourbon, Pere Ubu (playing The Modern Dance), Crime And The City Solution, Einstürzende Neubauten and many others.  But I was worried about the heat and today is something like the fifth day in a row over 31 degrees Celsius.  So my priorities today were to keep cool and import a stack of CDs into the iPod.

The latter task involves having to work with iTunes.  This involves a great deal more work that the good people at Apple originally probably envisaged.  Once I’ve imported my disc, I immediately bring up the tracks in my library to edit all of the data provided that I simply don’t want.  These include songwriters, music genres, those annoying details at the end of tracks such as (album version) or (2007 remaster) and basically anything that could affect a true random shuffle other than album titles, song titles and track lengths.  What puzzles me here is that I can remove these items from my music library so that it doesn’t show on my iPod but I can’t delete other things I don’t want on my iPod such as the installed Games and all the other features I never use and never will use such as provision to store Contacts, Photos, Video, etc.  I repeat something I wrote last month; anyone who buys a 160GB iPod does so because they want as close to 160GB of music as possible.  Nothing else matters.
Then I’ve got to edit artists and album titles.  Editing artists is an absolute must because even the most minuscule difference will result in a new artist appearing on the iPod.  For example, I don’t want my Neil Young albums appearing in two separate artist lists, one for Neil Young and another for Neil Young And Crazy Horse; all get attributed to Neil Young.  I then need to make sure that artists are sorted so that they appear in an alphabetical sequence by artist surname or group name.  Occasionally I’ll need to sort or edit an album title especially when there are many albums released with the same title such as Greatest Hits, Live, The Very Best Of, The Essential, or Gold. And finally there are things that I feel I should correct.  For example, today I imported The Jeffery Lee Pierce Sessions Project album I played last month.  This is actually the second album released by this amalgamation of acts and so I think it should be listed as an artist.  This means taking the individuals created to each artist on the album into the song title.  (iTunes really doesn’t handle compilations all that well.) After this, I will uncheck any tracks I don’t want, almost always to avoid unnecessary duplication of tracks.

Next up is a task that I really think is really unnecessary.  When you import your CD, iTunes gives you all of this data but not the album artwork.  You then have to specifically take action to retrieve it.  Why not give the artwork along with everything else and let the consumer decide whether to keep or delete it?  Finally, it’s time for the synching process, something that Apple has considerably approved and it goes smoothly.
And so there you have it, a posting to disguise the fact that today, I’ve played only one album and it was whilst writing this post.

(129) Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers – Hard Promises
For a long time, Damn The Torpedoes was my favourite Petty album.  However, every time I play this album the gap continues to narrow to the point where I’d say it’s now at level pegging.  This is strange because I can remember being underwhelmed when this first came out.  Anyway this has a cracking start with the two singles The Waiting and A woman In Love (It’s Not Me).  This is followed by Nightwatchman, one of the few Petty tracks that could be described as approaching funky. Kings Road and A Thing About you are first rate rockers, Insider is another good duet with Stevie Nicks and You Can Still Change Your Mind is a fine ballad to close proceedings.  

No comments:

Post a Comment