Wednesday 6 February 2013

5 February 2013 (Day 36) – My Bloody Coincidental Valentine

It was an extremely busy day at work and was able to listen to only one album.  It was:

(106) Steve Wynn – Dazzling Display
Steve Wynn has made a number of albums since the demise of the band with which he originally made his name, The Dream Syndicate.  (That is, The Dream Syndicate, one of the leading lights of the 1980’s so called “Paisley Underground”, not 1960's The Dream Syndicate, the avant-guard act containing underground legends such as La Monte Young and John Cale.)  This is the second album released under his name and arguably his best.  There is more light and share in these songs unlike the denser sounds of, especially the latter albums, his former band with only the single Drag and the track 405 sounding like outtakes from a Dream Syndicate record.  Bonnie And Clyde continued the tradition established on his first album, Kerosene Man, by talking the form of a duet with Concrete Blonde’s Johnette Napolitano.  My version is a deluxe edition containing six live tracks recorded for various radio stations, among them Sonic Youth’s Kool Thing, Paul Simon’s Boy In The Bubble and Bob Dylan’s Watching the River Flow.

Late in the afternoon I was finally able to check my work emails.  After dealing with the ones that required immediate attention, I saw one from a former colleague of mine who now works elsewhere.  He altered me that over the weekend just passed, My Bloody Valentine had released their new album (titled m b v) over the internet.   As soon as I read this, the sound  “ahhhhh” escaped from my lips as I realised one of life’s bizarre coincidences. 
On 15 November 1991, I was in the audience at the Prince of Wales Hotel, St Kilda for the third night of the band’s first Australian tour.  Their album Loveless was released a week or two prior to that night.  I remember that show well as it was my introduction to the band after agreeing to take a punt based on another colleague’s recommendation.  The venue was absolutely packed and it was difficult to see the band as the show took place during a time when the Prince Of Wales had a very low stage.  But despite this, the band blew me away. I’m not completely certain how much of Loveless was played that night, but I knew I was impressed by the immense power (and loudness), particularly of “that really long number” which was later identified for my benefit as You Made Me Realise. I was standing not far away from the mixing desk; on top of a speaker there was a projector which ran super 8 footage over the stage making for a psychedelic effect that meshed brilliantly with the music.

So what’s the coincidence?  On next Saturday, 16 February, My Bloody Valentine will be appearing in Melbourne for the first time since that 1991 show.  And once again, it will be about 2 weeks since the release of their last album.
It’s also given me an idea for tomorrow……

No comments:

Post a Comment