Monday 18 February 2013

16 February 2013 (Day 47) – Tis Was The Thrill Of The Hunt *

Actually, there was some good news yesterday but I didn’t want to trivialise the event in our lives from overseas.  After all the receipt of my first internet order for the year is very unimportant in the scheme of life. 

I’ve been forced into having to buy my music from the web for a number of reasons.  First, there are few stores around the stock a lot of the music I want to purchase.  There are the JB HiFi’s and some independent stores such as Greville’s, Missing Link and Polyester but all of these are a distance from my place.   Moreover, there is no guarantee that they’ll have what I want and even if they did I might have to pay significantly more for the privilege.  That prices over the web can be quite reasonable is simply the cherry on the cake.  Whilst I’d prefer to keep Australians in a job and would be willing to pay a modest mark up, I simply refuse to pay the outrageous mark ups that many of the chain stores used to charge.  JB HiFi exposed them and they’ve all paid the price, so to speak, at least in Melbourne.
My copy of The Fall’s Complete Peel Sessions is a case in point.  When I decided to buy it, I did the rounds of about 6 JB’s, plus Grevilles and Missing Link only to discover that no one stocked it although Missing Link claimed they had sold their only copy a few weeks prior.  Everyone offered to order it for me at a price ranging from $60 – 120 and a delivery estimate of 2-4 weeks.  I eventually got it over the web via an English site and it cost me approximately $40 including postage and I received it in 5 working days.  How can any bricks and mortar shop compete against that?

This doesn’t mean that I’m happy with having to purchase my music this way.  Previously one of my favourite pastimes was the hunt.  I had a network of chain stores, independent stores, second hand places, record fairs and others in which to fossick. Usually I set out with no real intention of buying a specific album. I let their stock surprise me preferring the thrill of finding something unexpectedly that I’ve desperately wanted. 
But as we all know, time marches on and the world and my life changed and I’ve had to embrace the brave new worlds of the internet and marriage. If the shops hadn’t started to close, I would have needed to abandon my expeditions anyway due to marriage. This is not coincidental.  As the movie adaption of Nick Hornby’s great book High Fidelity makes perfectly clear, the art of record shopping is an existence pursued almost exclusively by single men as a substitute for absent female company.  I know that it applied to me; let’s face it I never managed to pick up anyone as I flicked through a CD or vinyl rack.  No woman ever came to me saying, “Oh, I really want that extra rare album that you’re about to buy for a steal.  Can you make a copy for me?  Maybe we could meet for coffee?”  Don’t get me wrong here.  I wasn’t like one of those anonymous geeks in the comic book store in The Big Bang Theory staring whenever a woman entered the store. I wouldn’t have noticed because I was focused on the search attempting to uncover that gem before anybody else.  (Well, it’s either that or comic book fans really are different.)

So onto today’s listening brought to you by a warehouse somewhere in Europe and Australia Post.
(127) La Dusseldorf – Individuellos

This is the third and last La Dusseldorf album, at least with Klaus Dinger as a member.   This is about as close an album to anything resembling mainstream sounds (Kraftwerk included) that any of the German experimental bands of the 70s got.  There were even moments on this which appear to foreshadow the New Romantic movement.  Is this why Dinger left the band?
(128) Howlin’ Rain – Magnificent Fiend

Howlin’ Rain was formed by Ethan Miller as his previous band Comets On Fire came to the end of it life.  Both bands played modern versions of psychedelic rock crossed with blues, folk and other influences.  The difference is that Comets On Fire played a more ragged and primitive form and Howlin’ Rain favours a more melodic and cleaner sound.  Yet when Howlin’ Rain truly rocks out as they do on the glorious Lord Have Mercy, such differences are moot.
(* I’ll be damned if I’ll title any post after a line in Eye Of The Tiger, hence the otherwise unnecessary “Tis”.)  

No comments:

Post a Comment