Thursday 11 April 2013

10 April 2013 (Day 100) – Expectations

I had a number of work commitments today which severely curtailed opportunities for listening. 

I had taken a bunch of CDs along with me that I’d yet to play and my selection from them was done on an ad hoc impulsive basis.  Yet when I sat down to write this post, it dawned on me that I had selected albums for which I had a clear expectation which influenced why I had taken so long to get around to playing them and which also coloured my eventual response.
I guess my mind is strange that way.  I spend a bit of time, effort and money each week in seeking out new music that I would like to hear and then, having obtained it, become quite lackadaisical in wanting to actually hear it.  Depending on the specific album, a variety of questions will go through my mind before I decide what to play.  Here are some examples:

(# 276) Danger Mouse and Jay-Z – The Grey Album (released and withdrawn 2004)
Expectation: Is this album really as good as everyone says?

This is the “legendary” album Danger Mouse put together when he took the raps off Jay-Zs The Black Album and then added them to new instrumental backings based on samples from tracks from The Beatles White Album.  (The White Album mixed with The Black Album produces The Grey Album.) He did not seek authorisation from either Jay-Z or The Beatles and it appears that lawyers for the latter insisted that the album not be released despite his intention of releasing only a few thousand copies. Fair enough, but the problem is that the end result is so damned good there was no chance of the genie ever being completely returned to the bottle.  The best tracks are those where The Beatles connection is most obvious.  This applies especially to What More Can I Say which is placed over While My Guitar Gently Weeps and Encore’s placement over a brilliantly constructed sample utilising Glass Onion and Savoy Truffle.  Other tracks employ more subtle Beatles colouring – 99 Problems’ set to Helter Skelter and Dirt Off Your Shoulder’s placement over Julia, for example – but are none the worse for it. 
(# 277) Jimi Hendrix – Valleys Of Neptune (2010)

Expectation: Oh no.  Not ANOTHER bottom of the barrel scraping exercise?
This is easily the most intriguing of the albums released in the decades of Jimi’s death given that the majority of tracks are either covers or alternative versions of material recorded with The  Experience.  Opener Stone Free employs interesting back up vocals, I suspect by The Experience, and appears to sound slightly slowed down.  A cover of Elmore James’ Bleeding Heart has some nice funky guitar work of the type I suspect Jimi would have pursued had he lived.  Hear My Train A Comin’ is fascinating because he uses a strum that is exactly the same as that subsequently used by Stevie Ray Vaughn.  An epic instrumental version of Cream’s Sunshine Of Your Love demonstrates why Eric Clapton always bowed to him and an alternate version of Fire is just strange.

(# 278) Hawkwind – Masters Of The Universe (1977)
Expectation: Surely these studio recordings cannot possibly be better than those I heard live?

Finally I get one correct!  This is a compilation drawn from the great British space rockers catalogue of 1971 – 1974.  (Motorhead’s Lemmy was a member of the band during part of this period.)  This period coincides with their epic live performances that were brilliantly captured on their Space Ritual album, one of the best live recordings ever captured.  4 of the six tracks on this compilation feature on Space Ritual; all four – Master Of The Universe, Brainstorm, Sonic Attack and, especially Orgaone Accumulator – are highlights on that set and pale in comparison here.  Of the two remaining tracks one, It’s So Easy, is represented by a live track and is this album’s highlight.  If there was ever a occasion to have heard the studio versions of tracks by an act first, this was probably it.
EXPECTATION: What did you expect?

When I got home, I started hearing about the controversy generated by John Lydon’s appearance the previous night on The Project.  (No doubt footage of this is now all over YouTube.)  Whilst there is no excuse for sexist language anywhere, what needs to be said that anyone who decides; to a) interview him, b) do this on the night of Thatcher’s death, c) ask inane questions, and then d) cut across him talking to ask what he thought about Thatcher’s death, is probably deliberately courting controversy and should be better prepared for it when it inevitably emerges.  Let me put it this way; if you stand on the edge of a crocodile infested river, hold a slab of meat dripping in blood and call out “Come here boy”, should you blame just the crocodile if it bites off half your arm?

No comments:

Post a Comment