Saturday 6 April 2013

5 April 2013 (Day 95) – Completing The Atlantic Soul Legends Box

Another day behind my computer loomed at work and so I thought it would be a great opportunity to go through the remaining items in the Atlantic label Soul Legends box set of 20 original albums, starting with:

(# 260) William Bell – The Sound Of A Bell (1967)
Considering that he’d scored very few major charting records, it’s amazing how often Bell appears in soul compilations that I have from the classic 1960s – early 1970s period.  On this debut album, he utilises his very smooth voice on a nice range of material including his very own You Don’t Miss Your Water and classy covers such as Do Right Woman – Do Right Man and I’ve Been Loving You Too Long (To Stop Now).  Other gems on this album include Everybody Loves A Winner, Eloise (Hang On In There), Never Like This Before and You’re Such A Sweet Thang.

(# 261) Howard Tate – Self Titled (1972)
I don’t think I’d heard of Tate before I got the box set but I’m rapt this was included.  This is a great album of mainly urban sounding soul with funky horns on many tracks.  There’s some magnificent material on this album such as She’s A Burglar, Where Did My Baby Go, Jemina Surrender and It’s Your Move.  But the highlight is his absolutely inspired cover of Dylan’s Girl Of The North Country in which he almost convinces you that Mr Zimmerman is really a soul man.

(# 262) Clarence Wheeler & The Enforcers – Doin’ What We Wanna (1970)
Wheeler and the Enforcers stare at you from cover in a wonderful photograph that is deliberately confrontational.  I have no idea why this was needed because this is an absolutely sensational jazz/soul/rock hybrid of mostly instrumental material that is essential listening for anyone’s musical education.  Side 1 of the original vinyl album appears to consist of covers or tunes written by others, commencing with a magnificent 8 minute arrangement of The Beatles’ Hey Jude with the horns replacing the Na-Na-Na’s of the original.   Theme From Electric Surfboard emphasises the organ in a manner reminiscent of its author "Brother" Jack McDuff, for whom Wheeler had previously played.  Side 2 consists of tracks written by Wheeler and the band.  It starts off with Right On, a clear declaration of black power which utilises a chorus of voices singing phrases (such as Right On) at various points throughout.  Dream Bossa Nova which follows is exactly as the title implies whilst and the title track is inspired.  I think I’ll need to hunt down more of their albums.

(# 263) Sam Dees – The Show Must Go On (1975)
Now I know I hadn’t heard of Dees before I got this box set.  This album appears to be split between two types of material, socially aware and standard soul. Employing a lush sound and vocals to boot, the wonderful socially aware tracks – Child On The Streets, Troubled Child and What’s It Gonna Be in particular – are very much in the Curtis Mayfield Superfly tradition.  Much of the remaining material is very slick and possibly even too slick for my tastes.

With the box set completed, I decided on a change of pace and went for, you guessed it ….:
(# 264) Mogwai – Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will (2011)

I’m not sure what’s happening in my head, but the early tracks on this album, now with keyboards playing a dominant role remind me of the futuristic sounds of the Tortoise album (Beacons Of Ancestorship) I played on Tuesday.  After 3-4 tracks, the guitars start to assume their rightful position on tracks like San Pedro and George Square Thatcher Death Party with other instrumentation thrown into the extremely clear mix.  The album ends with a track called You’re Lionel Richie which I’ve only noted, so in the interests of all-inclusiveness, I can say I’ve referred to him in my posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment