Friday 26 April 2013

25 April 2013 (Day 115) – ANZAC Day

Try as I might, I find it difficult to conceive of playing music on this day.  When I do, I hold true to the general spirit of the day and wait until after Midday.  But by then, “M” and I decide to take advantage of the absolutely glorious, when will this ever end weather and go on a long stroll.

By the time I get back, I don’t feel like doing much and listen to a couple of albums before drifting off for a nice nap starting with;
(# 313) Ann Peebles – Original Funk Soul Sister. The Best Of Ann Peebles (2006)

Ann Peebles was on the same label, Hi Records, during the glory years of label mate Al Green.  As the liner notes for this compilation points out, she was the undisputed Queen to Green’s King.  And it’s easy to see why.  This compilation contains a  number of absolutely first rate soul numbers including the tracks which made her reputation -  I Can’t Stand The Rain, 99 Lbs and I’m Gonna Tear Your Playhouse Down.  The rest is of a pretty high calibre with the wonderfully heartfelt I Still Love You, Crazy About You Baby and Come To Mama standing out.
(# 314) The Doors – L.A. Woman (1971)

I have never been able to decide on a favourite Doors album seemingly unable to decide between their debut, Morrison Hotel or this.  One thing that I’ve always been clear about is the power of their music especially when Jim Morrison sings straight forward rock songs rather than enunciating poetry set to music.  For an album frequently acknowledged as a classic, only the magnificent title track , the single Love Her Madly and the splendid Riders On The Storm, are routinely acknowledged as among this band’s best work.  The status of the album comes from the consistent high quality of the remainder.  The Changeling is a very effective opener; Been Down So Long and their cover of John Lee Hooker’s Crawling King Snake are convincing attempts at the blues and Cars Hiss By My Window is suitably atmospheric.
But in the main, today has been one to reflect and take things easy especially with a return to work tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment