Thursday 18 April 2013

18 April 2013 (Day 108) – Artists Only

I’ve never been one for pigeon holing music into genres.  Mainly its because I don’t understand what is meant by most of them.  Sure I’ve used the word “genre” in this blog but only in its broadest application to the basic 20th century popular music forms.  In plain English, I’m happy for the word “genre” to include: rock, pop, blues, jazz, punk, post-punk, reggae, ska, dub, hard rock, heavy metal, thrash, rap, electronic[a], trance, dance, disco, funk, soul, folk, Americana, country, bluegrass, goth, industrial, prog[ressive], Krautrock (although I despise the term), world and a handful of others. 

These are all genres where I can articulate a difference between them.  If I can’t articulate a difference, I don’t use the term.  Take, for example, hip hop.  Can anyone really explain to me the difference between it and rap?  As I understand it, rap is the musical expression of hip hop culture so why do some parties tag acts as hip hop?  
I also appreciate that there are sub genres but very few are meaningful to me.  Take for example heavy metal.  From what I can understand, thrash is a sub-genre of heavy metal as is death metal, hair metal and the New Wave Of British Heavy Metal.  I use the term thrash because it is basically heavy metal played at a faster tempo with a greater emphasis (or at least it seems to me) on twin guitar attacks and drums.  The other sub-genres mean nothing more connecting acts with something meaningless to me they have in common whether they are Scandinavians preoccupied with death (death metal), British bands that emerged in the late 1970s/early 80’s (the NWoBHM) or crap bands from the American West Coast (hair metal).  Let’s face, irrespective of where they come from or how good they are, they’re still playing metal.
It was against this background that I selected my first album to play today and I noticed a sticker on the cover which read “The 1979 Art-Punk Classic”.  Art-punk? What the hell was that?  It was bad enough that I’d never understood the term Art-Rock.  (I mean what did these acts do to attract such a label? Sculpture while they play? Use cans of paint for drums?  Record the sound of chalk scratching on footpaths whilst reproducing the works of Michelangelo?)  And now there’s a punk version of it. What, did the sculptor bands smash the statues after the gig and sell the limbless remains to the Louvre? Did the chalk artists on Swanston Street or Southgate spit on anyone donating coins for their works of art?  What have I missed?

And so I went on to play the aforesaid classic art-punk album:
(# 292) Tin Huey – Contents Dislodged After Shipment (1979)

Tin Heuy came out of the same Cleveland & region scene that spawned acts such as Pere Ubu, The Dead Boys, etc.  To these ears they sound like a classic punk/new wave act from the 1970s.  Opening track, I’m A Believer is a good piss take of The Monkees original.  Second track, The Revelations Of Dr. Modesto reminded me very much of early Roxy Music.  Third track, I Could Rule The World If I Could Only Get The Parts, reminds me of Devo or Oingo Boingo.  I could go on but you get the idea – a good album of experimental music with humor that appears to be much in the same mould as another contemporary act from that era…
(# 293) Devo – Devo’s Greatest Hits (1990)

For a brief moment in circa 1983/4, Devo became the most popular act in Australia mainly due to their inspired videos for Whip It, Beautiful World and Freedom Of Choice, all great tunes and all accounted for on this compilation.  Even better are the earlier experimental numbers – their awesome reconstruction of The Rolling Stones’ (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction, Jocko Homo, Smart Patrol/Mr DNA  and Gut Feeling.  Add this to other relatively more well known material such as Gates Of Steeel, Girl U Want, Through Being Cool and their reworking of Working In A  Coalmine and you have one unbeatable package.  Keyboards and odd instrumentation are very much to the fore which spurred me on to:
(# 294) Roxy Music – Roxy Music (1972)

Their debut album contained songs by fine arts university graduate Bryan Ferry and unusual instrumentation courtesy of Andy Mackay’s oboe and synthesiser that Brian Eno worked out how to play. This album seems to fit a definition of art rock at least (at least in Devo terms) but, despite the at times unusual instrumentation, the songs have stood the true test of time.  Re-make/Re-model, Ladytron, Viginia Plain and Sea Breezes are all bone fide classics with the band eventually maturing in time to receive mass success in much the same way as:
(# 295) Talking Heads – More Songs About Buildings And Food (1978)

Now we’re getting somewhere.  Three of the four members of the band (leader David Byrne, his nemesis Tina Weymouth and her husband Chris Franz) are graduates from the Rhode Island School Of Design and on this, their second album, they roped in as producer one Brian Eno.  But aren’t they a punk/new wave band?  Anyway, this was the album that really set them on their way to the big time, including their first substantial hit, a marvellous version of Al Green’s Take Me To The River.  The opener, Thank You For Sending Me An Angel was still good enough years later to make it into the Stop Making Sense tour and movie.  The criminally underrated I’m Not In Love was to provide the first hint of the rhythmic structures that were to be unleashed on Remain In Light and other great tracks abound such as The Girls Want To Be With The Girls, The Big Country and Artists Only.
And so am I any wiser?  Not really.  All I can say is that Art-Rock appears to be experimental music played by musicians with a background in art which, therefore, must mean that Art-Punk is Art-Rock played by punks…………

……and which also goes some way to explaining why I hate anything other than the broadest of genre titles.

No comments:

Post a Comment