Wednesday 5 June 2013

1& 2 June 2013 (Days 152 & 153) – Ch-Ch-Changes

I don’t know why but I was feeling really fine on the weekend despite the miserable weather.  

Maybe it was because “M” favoured a weekend at home.  Maybe it was my doing some handyman work around the house and effectively repairing a door that was coming off its hinges.   Maybe it was hearing the news that a tree right behind our house that was forever blocking our gutters was going to be felled by the house’s new owners.  Or, maybe it was the Bulldogs making it 2 wins in a row with another 9 point wing over Port Adelaide in Darwin.

All I know is that full of happiness, joy and bravado, I thought I'd take on the challenge of jazzing up this very blog.
First I needed to come up with a visual representation of myself given my wish to remain anonymous.  Easy one, I parted my collection of vinyl and inserted a bio of Otis Redding and a copy of the Deluxe Edition of Sonic Youth’s Dirty alongside each other adding a hastily scribbled biro dot.  For some reason, I added my reading glasses.  I should have added my trusty iPod.

Next, I went looking for a more dynamic presentation and colour scheme.  I tested a number of the template models that Google has on offer and settled on the watermark version.  After arranging the format, I took out my camera and spent a couple of hours composing the most magnificent watermark image.  I created a space and into it placed a number of vinyl albums, visible by their spines.  Next to this I organised a pile of my favourite CDs with all of the titles visible.  A pile of some of my favourite music book titles spine out again was topped by a number of DVDs, also spine out.
My goodness!  The amount of effort that went into composing that image was enormous.  I wanted to have all my bases covered in terms of what was readable.  So in choosing the various items I kept asking myself questions such as; do I have a reggae album?  What about a blues, item?  Jazz?  A pile of Springsteen?  Where Neil?  Patti Smith? ……….

Finally I was satisfied and I took the image.  It was brilliant.  Next I stuck the memory card into my computer for uploading onto the template which promptly rejected it.  The photograph was too big.  Disgusted, for the first time in my life I felt like an artist who had produced his finest work only for it to be spurned. And so [il]logically, I deleted the image.  Stuff this, I thought.  I’ll use one of their images for now and settled for a black and white shot of an empty stage taken from the back of a band venue.  Damn, it looks pretty good!
After doing all of this, I discovered these things called gadgets and found one that allows you to set up images.  I inserted this as a page and then spent an hour going through the images I took at the gigs I’ve attended this year.  Then I uploaded them , placed them into a logical sequence and annotated them.  Mmm! Not bad.  That’s given me another idea but I need to do a fair bit of work before I can pull that off. 

But, by now “M” is complaining that I haven’t spent enough time with her.  I’m shocked into shame and call a halt.  After packing everything away another realisation hits me.  I’d been so engrossed in my work, I’d forgotten to play any music! 
And so after a weekend tinkering about on my computer in my home studio, I use the internet to present top you, my “audience” the results of my experimentation.   It amounts to a change in image or, if you will, my reinvention.

Hope you like the new direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment