Sunday 23 June 2013

19 June 2013 (Day 170) – Spurned Albums That I Love

Today I deliberately tried to come up with a theme for the days listening.  I had no specific idea what that theme would be as I scrolled though my iPod.  My only criterion was whatever album I first selected had to sustain the theme for a day.  I had no idea what the theme would be until I came across;

(# 447) Oasis – Be Here Now (1997)
Oasis’ third album had the British critics as united in fierce opposition as they had been united in reverent praise for their first two albums.   The words or phrases most often used to describe the album included “self indulgent”, “bloated” and “drug affected”.   I still have my copy of Q magazine which contains the 5 star review it gave on release, which they would like to retract.  After a couple of previous false starts, the band finally undertook an Australian tour; an on board incident en route cultivated the enmity of the local media and their shows were roundly panned. …..

…..and yet, 16 years later this is the Oasis album that I play more than any other and I’ve gotten to the point that  I think it is infinitely better than (What’s The Story) Morning Glory which preceded it, in turn, a pale imitation of their superb debut, and best album, Definitely Maybe.  The songs are, for the most part, extremely catchy each rendered in the rumbling sound of their celebrated  live version of The Beatles I Am A Walrus.  D’You Know What I Mean, Stand By Me, All Around The World, I Hope I Think I Know and, most memorably, It’s Getting’ Better (Man!!) all fall into this category.  Don’t Go Away is a pretty good ballad and far more intelligible than either Wonderwall or Champagne Supernova to boot.
By the way, I was in the crowd of their Melbourne gig of that tour and I think it was pretty damned good.  I should know, I have a tape of the gig to prove it.

(# 448) The Stone Roses – Second Coming (1994)
This album wasn’t so much spurned but did suffer negatively from perceived unfulfilled expectations resulting from the 5 and a half year waiting period after the release of their celebrated debut.  Additionally, I think the title put some people off, the cover painting seemed too reminiscent of the debut and the introduction to the album was seen as kind of different…..

…… and yet I think this is one of the great guitar rock albums of the last 20 years.  On this John Squire unleashed his inner Eric Clapton and some of the results are astonishing, none more so that the twin barrel opening assault of Breaking Into Heaven and Driving South.  The former starts with approximately 5 minutes of what sounds like a jungle – water running, animal sounds and other ambient sounds – punctured by blasts of Squire’s guitar which eventually coalesces into the song’s introductory riff. Squire’s playing on this is nothing short of extraordinary, especially towards the end with it effortlessly segueing in to Driving South.  This is pretty good but is topped by the following Daybreak and its awesome jamming towards its end.   Tears is a pretty good tune which appears to musically reference Jimi Hendrix’s version of All Along The Watchtower and Love Spreads was a convincing enough single.  The untitled hidden track is a bit much though.
The Stone Roses also undertook their debut tour on the back of this album.  I was in the crowd of their Melbourne gig on that tour – one of the last shows performed with Squire in it before his original departure – and the live performances of these songs blew the original studio versions out of the water.

(# 449) The Red Hot Chili Peppers – One Hot Minute (1995)
The follow up to BloodSugarSexMagik is routinely criticised by just about every critic and the long term members of the RHCP.  It is the only album which contains Jane’s Addiction’s Dave Navarro on guitar and it appears that one of the problems some people have with his presence is that he is not John Frusciante.  Additionally, Navarro also seems to influenced the band away from generally hedonistic themes to much darker ones……

……and yet, apart from its predecessor, this is the RHCP album I play the most.  A lot of it is due to the excellent quality of its opening six numbers.  Offering a variety of styles it kicks off in grand style with the frantic Warped, the catchy and cheerful Aeroplane, the solid Deep Kick, the reflective ballad My Friends and the singalong Coffee Shop.  Elsewhere, One Big Mob is an effective throwback to the Hillel Slovak era whilst Falling Into Grace and Shallow Be Thy Name thrash about agreeably.
Navarro’s guitar work is, as always, a treat and he was a galvanising presence of the tour behind the album.  The Melbourne show I attended was good but not as riotously fun as that for BloodSugarSexMagik.

(# 450) Metallica – St. Anger (2003)
Now here’s an album hardly anybody likes.  Songs from this album rarely seem to appear in Metallica’s ever changing set lists, the band nearly broke up whilst making it, critics routinely disparage it and, for many, the only good thing to have emerged from the lengthy and chaotic recording sessions was the Some Kind Of Monster documentary.  When I first heard it, I too was completely underwhelmed…..

….and yet I was turned around by, of all things, the documentary.  More specifically, I was seduced by the massive riff that sits behind Some Kind Of Monster as it played behind the film’s closing credits.   Curious as to whether I’d missed anything, I played the album again – and have never really stopped playing it ever since.  It is, to my mind, just about Metallica’s greatest album, a release in which they contemplate and confront their own mortality and attempt to frame music to go with it.  The key, is the opening 20 minutes, a combination of three tracks that sound almost like a suite and which contains some of the most ferocious and brave music this band has ever recorded.  Frantic starts proceedings, a throwback to the early days powered by some of Lars Ulrich’s most convincing drumming.  Much of drum sound has been treated in some way that it sounds very metallic.  Over the course of the album it does become a bit wearying but is perfectly suited to the attack of these early tracks.  The title track follows starts with a furious jam that is later repeated to even greater effect.  As soon as it ends some ominous notes, THAT riff and the closest thing to a guitar solo on the record heralds the start of the stomping Some Kind Of Monster.  By the time this has ended, you’re gasping for breath.  The opening three tracks have been so dense, so dark and so very heavy that relief is needed.  It comes in the form of the remainder of the album, especially Dirty Window, Invisible Kid, Shoot Me Again and Sweet Amber.  If the album has a fault, it is that some of the tracks are a tad too long and possibly one track too many but ultimately what cannot be denied, and which demands to be heard, is those opening three tracks.

And had Metallica had toured Australia behind that album, I’m sure these tracks would have been the highlight.

No comments:

Post a Comment