Monday 24 June 2013

20 June 2013 (Day 171) – Greatest Hits Albums On My iPod

I enjoyed yesterday’s little excursion so much I thought I do the same thing today.  That is pick a theme for the day’s listening based on the first album I chose.  I set myself a potentially difficult task when I went with;

(# 451) Queen – Greatest Hits (compilation 1981)
This was the first of three Greatest Hits comps issued by the band during and after their career. The track listing for this album apparently varies from country to country depending on which tracks had been released as singles, but the Australian is incredibly solid.  The legendary Bohemian Rhapsody is the opening track, its massive popularity here no doubt a cause of great satisfaction to Freddie Mercury after the band had been largely booed at the Sunbury just the year prior to its release.  (For the full story refer to Mark Blake’s fascinating bio Is This The Real Life – The Untold Story Of Queen.)  All of Queen’s best stuff from their initial history is here; nods to their early heavy days in Now I’m Here and Seven Seas Of Rhye, the infectious Killer Queen, their first hit here, The Fat Bottomed Girls/Bicycle Race double A single (the latter complete with its bicycle bell solo!), Another One Bites The Dust, Crazy Little Thing Called Love, Flash, the theme from their Flash Gordon movie soundtrack, the wonderful You’re My Best Friend and some Freddie flamboyance in Good Old-Fashioned Lover Boy.  Naturally We Will Rock You and We Are The Champions are kept till last.

But it really wasn’t all that difficult to discern a theme when it dawned on me that Queen is represented by this album and the subsequent Greatest Hits II on my iPod and indeed, in my collection.  Obviously Queen diehards will disagree, but I think Queen are a band that is better served through their compilations.  Their best work was contained in their singles which in turn were usually the stand out tracks on the albums.  And in any case, their albums cover such a wide range of, often bizarre, musical styles, that no one or two Queen albums could possibly do justice to them on the iPod. 
And so, I started to scroll through my iPod trying to find examples where I chose single disc compilations – double albums, anthologies and box sets excluded – that I used to best represent some cherished acts. 

(# 452) Faith No More – Who Cares A Lot? The Greatest Hits (compilation 1998)
Probably no other act caused as much heartburn when it came to deciding what to put on my iPod as rap/metal pioneers Faith No More.  My initial thought was to have them represented by the albums The Real Thing and Angel Dust, both classics in their right and their powerful Live At The Brixton Academy.  I figured the live album would ensure that We Care A Lot would be included but I still bemoaned the absence of the surging Introduce Yourself, the title track of their debut album.  I was also unsure about including the King For A Day and Album Of The Year releases, both very much underrated with many fine tracks but not as consistent as the other two.  Then I remembered I had this which I had originally purchased exclusively for the bonus disc of B-sides and rarities.  When I checked out the main disc I realised the compilers had done an excellent job.  Introduce Yourself and We Care A Lot are both here in all their glory as are the carefully selected highlights from each of the studio albums including the majestic Epic, From Out Of Nowhere and Falling To Pieces from The Real Thing, Midlife Crisis and their piss take of The Commodores Easy  (Don’t be fooled by anyone claiming that this was a reverent homage.) from Angel Dust.  The last two albums have been expertly filleted through the inclusion of the marvellous Digging The Grave and The Gentle Art Of Marking Enemies and King For Day’s Ashes To Ashes and Stripsearch.  If Angel Dust’s Be Aggressive had been included it would have been close to perfect.  And so, this lives in my iPod along with the live set which contains more of the Real Thing and a massive cover of Black Sabbath’s War Pigs.

(# 453) John Lennon – Lennon Legend. The Very Best Of John Lennon (compilation 1997)
The existence of this album made it very easy for me for Lennon to be represented on the iPod.  To mind, Imagine is far and away his best solo album and that has been synched.  All I then needed to do is to drop its tracks from this and there is nothing but wall to wall classics – Instant Karma, Cold Turkey, Mind Games, Whatever Gets You Thru The Night, his great cover of Stand By Me, Working Class Hero and Give Peace A Chance.  More importantly, the best tracks from his comeback albums are also here – the comeback single (Just Like) Starting Over, Watching The Wheels, the tragic Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy) and the horribly underrated Nobody Told Me.

(# 454) Masters Apprentices – Fully Qualified. The Choicest Cuts (compilation 2006)
Who was Australia’s finest band during the 1960’s?  A silly question to be sure but no doubts many critics would nominate the Easybeats nonetheless.  I don’t have a problem with that but it is increasingly becoming apparent to a great many people that the Masters Apprentices  could easily have gained the honour.  Initially an raw R&B combo the band embraced psychedelics and released a number of timeless tracks and at least one classic album (their 1967 self titled debut although 1971’s Choice Cuts also has its fans).  This 24 track comp does justice to their career and includes classic tracks such as the Undecided and Turn Up Your Radio and their hard rock undertones, the 60s pop smarts of Elevator Driver and Living In A Child’s Dream, the memorable Australian hit Because I Love You and the psychedelica of Rio De Camero and Our Friend Owen Stanley III.  

No comments:

Post a Comment