Friday 28 June 2013

25 June 2013 (Day 176) – Albums That Remind Me Of Great Gigs

There is an overwhelming amount of published data about the link between music and memory.  I haven’t read any of it and have no intention of doing so.  Therefore, I’m sure what I’m about to write probably has no bearing upon or completely distorts the scholarship that’s been produced. 

I’ve been told that I have a tremendous memory and have no idea why.  Perhaps it is because I’ve listened to music throughout my life.  I have many memories about events in my life in which music is part of the recall process.  Indeed, the earliest memory I have of my life is always set against the backdrop of the Beatles Penny Lane.  This is strange because that memory involves being in the open air away from radios and televisions.  Suffice to say, whenever I hear that song, I’m instantly transported back to that specific memory and a certain feeling creeps across me that is almost impossible to describe.    All I know is that feeling reminds me of a time when my life was much simpler and it takes an effort to shake it off.   
But not everything is as heavy as that.  In the majority of cases the memories invoked by music are mostly happy ones.  And some of the happiest ones I have involve music itself, more specifically gigs that are memorable for some reason or other.  In a day involving some of the most tedious work imaginable (an entire day working on spreadsheets), I really needed something to make me smile.

(# 465) Mercury Rev – Deserter’s Songs (1998)
The memory: Mercury Rev at The Corner Hotel, 30 September 1999.

This is one of the great albums of the 1990s full of clever songs, unusual combinations of instruments, Jonathon Donahue’s distinctive vocals and a pristine, delicate sound which casts a dreamlike spell.  Holes and Opus 40 were unlikely though deserved hits and The Funny Bird sounds like a track ready made for a widescreen cinema epic.  The Happy End (The Drunk Room) and Delta Sun Bottleneck Stomp probably sound like alternative medieval music, if such a genre were possible. But best of all is the magnificent Goddess On A Hiway a stately number that appears to combine the band, an unforgettable hook and what appears to be piano, harpsichord and a theremin.   Yet, despite the brilliance of the album, no one was really prepared for how these songs came across when played live.  The band injected such power into these songs that each turned into a mini epic of sorts and you could have sworn you were listening to different songs.   Tracks from the rest of their catalogue were carefully chosen to augment the Deserter’s Songs tracks and played in much the same spirit.  The version of Frittering played that night remains to this day one of my all time favourite live memories.
(# 466) Smashing Pumpkins – Siamese Dream (1993)

The memory: Smashing Pumpkins at The Prince Of Wales Hotel, 28 January 1994
Two decades on, this remains my favourite Smashing Pumpkins album.  There are no pretensions at work here with each track taut and fully realised.  With the exception of Sweet Sweet which simply doesn’t fit into the flow, the album is brilliantly sequenced.   The opening sequence of the explosive Cherub Rock and Quiet followed by the quieter Today and the slow burning Hummer is nothing short of perfect with  brilliant tracks such as Disarm, Geek U.S.A. and Silverf**k eventually trailing in their wake.  Luna is a perfect low key closer that anticipates some of the sounds to be pursued on the subsequent Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness.    And like Mercury Rev, this club show in the small confines of the Prince Band Room was simply overwhelming.  Those present on the night knew that the chances of seeing the band play a room of that size again (at least with what we know to be the definitive Smashing Pumpkins line up) was zero.

(# 467) The Fabulous Thunderbirds – Tuff Enuff (1986)
The memory: The Fabulous Thunderbirds at The Palace, 18 November  1989

After years of toiling away in relative obscurity, The Fabulous Thunderbirds hit the big time with this album.  Cynics might suggest this was due to the fame of guitarist Jimmie Vaughn’s little brother Stevie Ray but this is to deny the quality of the album.  It is a great example of Texan blues, soul and tex mex immaculately produced by Dave Edmunds and containing a number of great tracks including the title track, Look At That Look At That and the Los Lobos sounding Amnesia.  Down At Antoine’s is a terrific instrumental with great harmonica playing from Kim Wilson whose vocals are also a treat throughout the rest of the album.  But the best track is a cover of an Isaac Hayes/David Porter penned Sam & Dave b-side Wrap It Up an irresistible slice of soul despite the decidedly non PC nature of the lyrics.   
I first some of this songs live when the band supported Stevie Ray Vaughan at Festival Hall on 22 March 1986.  The overriding memory of that night was the encore of Stevie Ray’s set when the brothers Vaughan played a double necked guitar simultaneously, even changing necks mid tune.  As for the Thunderbirds I left feeling the best way to see them would be within a club with a beer in hand.  This is why the 1989 show stands out, a bar band playing in a bar before its own fans.  Although I’ve never been to Texas, on that one night, for all intents and purposes, I was. 

(# 468) John Hiatt – Live At the Palace, Melbourne April 24, 1991 (Slow Turning Australian edition bonus disc 1991)
The memory: John Hiatt at The Palace Melbourne, 24 April 1991

This is a 5 track CD containing great renditions of Real Fine Love, Your Dad Did, Lipstick Sunset, Rock Back Billy and Slow Turning.  Backed by the impressive Fugitive Popes, it demonstrates that Hiatt is a charismatic figure live with his endearing between song patter preserved. 
This CD was rushed out to capitalise on the effect Hiatt had on his debut Australian tour in 1991.  This came as a complete shock to his record company because he came out as a special guest opening for The Robert Cray Band.  I was the Concert Hall for the Melbourne date on 15 April and saw the incredibly rare event of a support act actually win over a potentially hostile audience which gave him a standing ovation and demands for an encore.  The response to Hiatt that night was such that the club gig was added to the end of the tour and recorded. He proved to be quite the unexpected entertainer too, telling cheesy stories between numbers and incorporating quite unorthodox “dance moves”.   But ultimately it was the music that won everyone over, a task made all the easier in that his two recent albums at the time – Bring The Family and Slow Turning - also happened to be his best.  It was a classic example of seeing a performer in his prime and at the right time.

(# 469) Suicidal Tendencies – Still Cyco After All These Years (1993)
The memory: Suicidal Tendencies at The Palace Melbourne, 2 November 1993

This is ST’s high energy re-recording of their debut self titled album and, as such contains some of their greatest numbers.  Suicide's an Alternative / You'll Be Sorry, Institutionalized, War Inside My Head, I Saw Your Mommy, Fascist Pig and A Little Each Day are all classics of the early thrash era and are given the treatment they truly deserved here.  Might Mike Muir’s singing on this album, particularly on Institutionalized is inspired.
It was with this album that ST toured Australia for the first time as the special guests of the hapless Alice In Chains.  By all accounts, they slayed the crowd at Festival Hall a few nights earlier, a situation not held by Alice In Chain’s drummer not being able to properly function during their set.  I wasn’t there that night as I was hamstrung by a wedding commitment and so had a ticket to the club show at The Palace.  If anything, the situation was even worse for Alice In Chains because it appeared that all of Melbourne’s ST fans had actually targeted this gig. This was the just about the only time I went to a club gig to find that it already packed to the rafters before the support had stepped on stage.  And the response of the crowd to the band that night was absolutely phenomenal.  By the time they had finished their set, I was ready to go home and, indeed, a proportion of the crowd did just that.  Fortunately Alice In Chains kind of rose to the occasion and delivered a professional set but on this night Suicidal Tendencies ruled.

(# 470) Wire – Send (2003)
The memory: Wire at The Corner Hotel Melbourne, 7 March 2004

Wire recorded some of the best albums in the initial English punk explosion of the 1970s.   And yet despite splitting up and reforming this is their best ever album.  It is a raging beast of an album containing some of the most ferocious music recorded during the last decade including In The Art Of Stopping, Mr. Marx’s Table, Comet, The Agfers Of Kodak and Spent.  The energy and power does not let up for even a second and puts bands half their age who claim to be heavy to absolute shame.
I think Wire’s 2004 Australian tour was their first one of this country.  I hadn’t heard this before I went and so was expecting that I be hearing punk/art rock classics form their golden era. Alas I went alone, not being able to convince anyone to come with me. I distinctly remember feeling alone and unwanted that night.  Most most of the audience was long time Wire fans like myself, the only difference being that everyone had partners.  I looked around – I was the only single person there, or so it seemed.  It was a watershed moment; I wondered whether this was going to be a glimpse into my future.  Darker questions circulated in my mind; Just how many gigs could I attend alone?  Is tehre anyone out there for me?  How come all these other people could find each other and share the same taste in music?

Fortunately, Wire came on stage before these thoughts could become darker and started playing the songs from this album.  I was staggered.  It remains to this day one of the great gigs I’ve seen.  The hairs stood on the back of my neck and I proceeded to the mosh pit for the only time in my life and joined in.  It was cathartic and liberating and my faith in myself was restored, at least for the time being.  I’d realised that if I was to remain alone, at least I would have future experiences like this to sustain me.  Little did I know that later that year I would meet a woman called “M”.
(# 471) Rammstein – Live Aus Berlin (1999)

The memory: Big Day Out, Royal Melbourne Showgrounds, 28 January 2001
This the first live album and soundtrack to the first live DVD by the masters of German industrial stadium rock.  Recorded on home ground in Berlin in 1998, it is a live greatest hits collection from their earliest albums.  On the DVD the songs are larger than life, listening to this for the first time in ages and after having listened to the awesome Volkerball live CD for a number of years now, it now sounds quite flat in comparison.

I approached the 2001 BDO with a great deal of trepidation.  The headliners were Limp Bizkit, a band I wasn’t planning on seeing.  Immediately before them were Rammstein, who I’d never seen or heard and before them was Powderfinger, Australia’s then rock gods who I found, in the main, to be little more than competent.  Also all of the bands I wanted to see were clashing with each other and I was faced with a number of uncomfortable choices.  Not only that, but a poor gig goer had been killed during a crowd crush a couple of days earlier in Sydney during Limp Bizkit’s set.  There was a bad vibe.
On the morning of the day, I awoke to the news that Limp Bizkit had flown home.  I arrived at the Showgrounds and found out that Powderfinger had been offered and refused the closing slot.  Rammstein were to do the honors instead.  Thus also had the effect of changing all the running orders and my clashes disappeared.  I just wish it hadn’t occurred because of the tragic loss of life.

At nightfall I headed to the main stage to watch Rammstein.  All I knew was they sang in German and were supposedly spectacular live.  75 minutes later, I was a card carrying member of the Rammstein fan club.  They presented a set that replicated the performance on Live Aus Berlin containing all of the stunts and stage features contained in it. I instantly got the joke; a group of 5 hulking specimens of Ayran manhood whose machismo was constantly being undermined by the keyboard counterpoints of its sixth member.  It was my introduction to the world’s most entertaining live act whose best music was still to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment