Tuesday 25 June 2013

22/23 June 2013 (Days 173/174) – Op Shopping For CDs

I wasn’t thinking about going shopping for CDs this weekend.  OK, that’s a lie; I’m always thinking about shopping and adding to my collection in the manner Imelda Marcos collected shoes.  Perhaps what I meant to say was that my scope for buying stuff did not look good.

The reason was simple, “M” was demanding I spend some time attending to things around the house and could barely refuse given I was heading off to the footy on Saturday night.   After attending to the most pressing matters, “M” decided the time was right for us to dispose of some items by donating them to our local op shop.  Given this did not include any aspect of my collection, I readily agreed, thinking that perhaps I might be able to get some CDs after all. 
So, after dropping off our donations, I headed eagerly into the shop itself, eager to see whether they had any CDs or books on sale.  Unfortunately this proved not to be the case, the shop’s stock being the same stack of albums that seems to reside en mass in every such store.  I’m not going to identify the culprits – you know who they are! 

By now it was past lunchtime and “M” wanted to reward me with a feed at our favourite sushi place, incredibly, an owner operated space in the food court at a nearby shopping centre.  But on the way back home we took a different route and two things happened.  As we passed through one of our neighbouring suburbs, “M” decided she wanted to go into their op shop.  Feeling slightly deflated by my lack of success at our earlier stop, I wasn’t overly enthusiastic but “M” held sway.   
We walked in and I saw the shop had a largish collection of CDs along a couple of shelves.  I started to go through them, cursing I didn’t bring my reading glasses.  Why is the print on the jewel case spines so bloody small?  But then, I saw something, and then something else….. a few minutes later I had purchased 5 albums all for the princely sum of three dollars each and with the money going to a good cause to boot.  Even better, the first album I played when I got home was something that has long been deleted;

(# 458) Kings Of the Sun – Kings Of The Sun (1988)
I remember the first time I saw this band.  It was a film clip for their first single Bottom Of My Heart.  Neither the clip nor the song with its “You’re on top of the bottom of my heart” hook line impressed me.  Then a considerable time later, I caught the band as a support to an act that escapes me for the moment.  By now they seemed to have mutated into an over the top rock band full of attitude and a lead singer so full of showman strut that he made David Lee Roth look retiring.  I was hooked and raced out and got the album on vinyl.  I don’t think it sold all that well but it is one beast of an album. Serpertine which opens proceedings is a monster of a track  that should have been a massive hit. Get On Up, Black Leather, Hot To Trot and Wildcat all follow in the same vein.  Still don’t like Bottom Of My Heart though.

(# 459) M.I.A. – Arular (2005)
I was staggered to find this, as I don’t think I’ve ever previously seen a copy of this, M.I.A.’s debut in the shops.  It is a full on attack from the British based Tamil who could have possibly thought this was going to be the only album she’d ever release.  Musical styles (notably funk, hip hop and dance, political themes and righteous youthful anger all collide at a million miles an hour to produce a remarkable album not all that dissimilar to The Silts magnificent Cut album.  Bucky Done Gun, Sunshowers and Galang prove that you can dance and make a point at the same time.

By the time I’d played this, the other discs had to wait, as it was time to head out to the game.  Despite the 10 degree weather I travelled to Eithad Stadium where the Bulldogs promptly rewarded me with a 10 goal loss for my fortitude. After that, I didn’t feel much like playing stuff for the rest of the weekend although I did manage to get through this on the Sunday;
(# 460) Live – At The Paradiso, Amsterdam

Fortunately the band had the common sense not to title this “Live Live” or “Live Squared”.  A CD version of a concert DVD, this could easily function as a greatest hits compilation.  It contains solid versions of mainstays such Selling The Drama, Lightning Crashes, Turn My Head, The Dolphin’s Cry, Heaven and Lakini’s Juice.  I Alone Is marred in part by an overreliance on the audience singing the lyrics and a version of Johnny Cash’s I Walk The Line is, ahem, interesting.  The two studio tracks tacked onto the end are unremarkable.

No comments:

Post a Comment