Tuesday 22 January 2013

10 January 2013 - Magazine freebies from the plastic crate #1


I raided the plastic crate again for today’s listening.  All of the items I’ve selected are compilation discs given away free with monthly British music magazines.  The discs I own have been produced mainly by Mojo and Uncut, although there have been ones issued infrequently by Q and Rolling Stone.  
Mojo and Uncut are now my preferred music magazines.  Their editorial stance concentrating on new releases and celebrated releases and acts from rocks rich history, allied with my age, place me firmly within their target demographic.  The same applies to the freebie discs.   From what I can see each month both magazines use one of approximately five types of themed discs that are allied in some way to a feature article in that month’s edition. 

The dominant form of freebie is a straight out compilation of a particular music style, label or, in Uncut’s case, albums due for release that month.  Other types are discs supposedly compiled by a muso, re-recordings of classic albums by a range of acts covering each track, or albums that are claimed to be representative of the music that inspired an act.  I suspect some of these discs are akin to old style primers put together by a record label as an alternative form of advertising; however, each disc contains a compiler’s credit.  In the case of Uncut’s disc, the compiler is inevitability it’s Editor, Allan Jones.
I’ve been collecting these discs ever since I heard an early Mojo disc entitled The Devil’s Music, Keith Richards’ Personal Compilation of Blues, Soul and R & B Classics.  It is one of about 10 that have made their way onto my iPod.  Others include good overviews of African acts, Post-Punk, Punk acts in the years before the term was coined and an inspired re-recording of The Beatles Let It Be album, that is arguably better than the original.

I like to stockpile the discs for listening as a batch.  This produces an effect that is similar to listening to a fantasy radio station or your iPod on shuffle.  Today is no different.  I start with:
Let’s Move (subtitled, A Heavy Blues Collection – Mojo December 2012 edition)

This is a superlative collection of key blues tracks including a number of the greats.  Howlin’ Wolf, Lightning Hopkins, John Lee Hooker, Muddy Waters, Bo Diddley, Elmore James and the mighty Hound Dog Taylor and the House Rockers are all included.  It also sores bonus points for leading off with the now sadly departed R.L. Burnside, one of the very few old bluesmen, I’ve actually managed to see live.
Bad Moon Rising (subtitled, 15 Tracks in the Spirit of Creedence – Uncut February 2012 edition)

I’m not sure this one actually succeeded in its task.  Not many of the tracks reminded me of CCR but, ignoring that it’s a pretty enjoyable collection.
Let The Good Times Roll (subtitled, 16 Tracks of the Wildest New Orleans Soul and R’ N’ B – Uncut March 2011)

How the hell did I ignore this one for so long?  All of the tracks on this were recorded between 1947-1960  and include a roll call of the regions finest, Professor Longhair, Dr John, Allen Toussaint, Bobby Charles, Champion Jack Dupree, Heuy ‘Piano’ Smith and Fats Domino included.  I’ll probably add it to the iPod.
Tom Waits Jukebox (Uncut December 2011 edition)

A pretty good introduction to what I would imagine would be the great man’s influences including Captain Beefheart, Jack Kerouac, Harry Partch, Howlin’ Wolf, etc.
This Is Radio Strummer (subtitled 15 Brilliant Tracks from Joe’s World Service Radio Show – Uncut October 2010)

Here’s proof that some things can stay in my crate for a long time.  I love discs like this one where the compiler gets the opportunity to juxtapose a wild variety of tracks.  How else to justify a collection where the likes of Jimmy Reed, Kitty Wells, World Music acts like Amado & Mariam and Underworld appear on the same disc?
By the time this album has ended, its time for me to go home and turn off this station.  I’ll drop by again later in the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment