Tuesday 29 January 2013

29 January 2013 – My Musical Maps

As “M” had an additional day off, I drove to work alone musing about the ways in which I been inspired to purchase new music over the years.  The dominant force has been the recommendations of my music loving friends, many of whom will be described during the year, pending permissions and any conditions.  

I know this sounds silly but increasingly their recommendations are under threat by my music reading.  Mojo and Uncut, with their editorial emphasis of giving weight to past and present day acts have been especially influential.  Just over the course of the last year, I’d been inspired to track down a range of albums, almost impossible to get here, after features or references in either magazine.  These have included albums by 60s American electronic duo The Silver Apples, Japanese noise rockers Bo Ningen, American indie band Codeine, hardcore pioneers Bitch Magnet and UK punks the Subhumans.  As I’ve previously mentioned, the CD compilations that come with these albums are also influential.  I also take notice of acts that are named dropped by other acts in interviews; my entrée into the world of drone masters Sun O))) and label mates Om, for example, came after Geoff Barrow or Adrian Utley kept name checking them both as an inspiration whilst writing their Third album.
But this is not just limited to reading magazines.  I think the mark of a really good music writer lies in an ability to write about music in an enthusiastic and knowledgeable way that has you wanting to hear more.  Last year, for example, I read Enter Night, Mick Wall’s biography of Metallica and ended up purchasing Venom’s thrash masterpiece Black Metal.  And never doubt the influence of a well written reference book such as 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die (directly responsible for  my ordering  the psychedelic United States Of America’s 1968 self titled album or sourcing a copy of Gene Clark’s amazing 1974 release No Other), various  Rolling Stone or Virgin Record Guides (the latter’s Seventies guide was crucial in guiding me towards various key 70’s German experimental acts) or provocative overviews such as Everett True’s Live Through This -  American Rock Music In The Nineties  or Dave Thompson’s Alternative Rock.  

The internet is also increasing exerting an influence, although at this stage I still use it primarily to track down hard or impossible to get stuff in Australia.  However, one aspect I do find valuable already are the comments posted by people who have purchased albums on sites such as Amazon.  In these cases, what I’m more interested in is not so much their opinion about the album (although sometimes it has been decisive in deciding whether to purchase or not) but rather consumer information.  There have been cases when I’ve been altered to sloppy industry pressings of albums I wanted to upgrade from vinyl or tape to CD.  A number of reviewers on Amazon UK, for example, warned me that the CD version of Japan’s Exorcising Ghosts has had 6 tracks deleted and that a CD version of Grace Jones Slave To The Rhythm, omits linking material, has a rearranged track order and presents some tracks in shortened versions.
Finally, live performances for me are crucial, particularly by acts in support roles, at festivals or on radio/TV. I can name a variety  of acts that I’ve discovered this way including The Dirty Three, The White Stripes, Rammstein, At The Drive-In (and their offshoots, Sparta and The Mars Volta), Le Tigre, Died Pretty, Spiritualised, Fu Manchu and  The Crystal Castles.  With one exception, radio airplay and music clip programs such as Countdown ceased having any influence over me decades ago as a result of a number of key realisations which I’ll outline in future posts about my musical miseducation.

But there has been one thing that has almost completely failed to persuade me to purchase a given album.  It is the music display, in store performance or in store playing of new releases.  I can’t speak for other people but I just don’t seem to take any notice.  For me, unless I’m there with the express purpose of buying a particular album, the act of going into a music shop is all about the search and the discovery.  An in house promotion – even performances which I simply treat like a concert – negates that very experience.
I mention all of this because the first album played today is by the only act I’ve discovered owing to an album being played in a music shop.

(85) Tame Impala – Lonerism
This is the band’s second album, released just a few months ago. (Actually the word band isn’t quite correct given that Kevin Parker writes all the music and plays all the instruments but he claims they are a band nonetheless so who am I to argue?)  I can still clearly remember the circumstances  of hearing their debut album, the awesome Innerspeaker.   I was in the Elizabeth Street JB HiFi searching around when I realised I was lingering to hear this wondrous psychedelic masterpiece.  I inquired at the counter and then immediately added it to my purchases.  The early tracks on Lonerism adhere very much to its predecessor’s namesake.  Even some of the song titles echo those on the debut.  But over the last four tracks beginning with the fantastic single Elephant something starts to happen.  The music becomes less light with a greater darkness and thump.  It is even reflected in the two song titles after Elephant,  She Just Won’t Believe Me and Nothing That Has Happened So Far Has Been Anything We Could Control, the latter being the stand out track.  I suspect that Parker is warning everyone to expected something different next time out.  I, for one, can’t wait.

(86) Chris Isaak – Live At The Fillmore
I will never say a bad word about Chris Isaak.  His music is classy in a good way and it is refreshing to see someone not take his public persona all that seriously.  Despite that I stopped buying his albums after The Baja Sessions feeling that the rest of his career will effectively consist of variations on a theme.  There is nothing wrong with that but as long as he continues to produce live albums as enjoyable as this – mercifully with the between song patter included, I’ll happily continue to buy those.

No comments:

Post a Comment