Wednesday 23 January 2013

22 January 2013 – A Blog Is Born


Until this evening, all of my posts had been written on my laptop as I waited to be hooked up to an internet provider and figured out how to set up a blog.  As I walked Lady this morning, I started to think about a blog title and a user name. 
My blog title came easily – A Year In The Life.  Short, sharp and concise with an obvious play on one of the greatest tracks ever recorded. But a user name refused to come.  Back home I did a quick search on my title.  Damn!  There was a 1980s TV mini-series and spin off with that title so I think about another title over breakfast.  How about 2013: A Music Odyssey?  Nice one.  No one will have thought of that.  And my user name could be Stan.K, a clever play on the famed DJ Murray the K Kaufman and Stanley Kubrik.  Feeling pleased with myself I go to work taking another two albums from the weekend bargain bin.

(67) Gang Of 4 – Hard
By the time this was released, the band had been reduced to a three piece comprising founding members and mainstays, Andy Gill and Jon King and Sara Lee, who had only joined for the previous album.  (Lee would go to sustain a long career in a variety of roles but to most of us she’ll always be remembered for being the bass player in The B-52s on the Cosmic Thing album and in the Love Shack video.)  Hard, like its predecessor, marked a significant move away from the uncompromisingly brutal political neo-funk of their classic early albums Entertainment! and Solid Gold towards a sound incorporating disco, 80’s dance and the vaguest hint of new romanticism.  At times the band’s sound is practically indistinguishable from that of New Order and I suspect this might have played a role in their subsequent split.  (They have reformed twice since.)

(68) Chris “Klondike” Masuak & Klondike’s North 40 – Workhorse
I didn’t even know this existed until I saw it in the bin.  Masuak is an Australian guitar hero having been a member of Radio Birdman, The Hitmen and The Screaming Tribesmen among others.  This is second album with the North 40 and they turn out to be a roockin’ three piece.  Like a number of  great guitarists, Masuak doesn’t overdo the soloing but makes them count spectacularly when he does, especially on The Dreamer and Submarine.

I then continued to explore my catalogue.
(69) Earth – Angels Of Darkness, Demons Of Light I

I chose this for three reasons.  It’s instrumental, I wanted to decide whether to retain this on the iPod (yes) and I needed to make a decision about buying the second volume (yes).  Earth is the vehicle for guitarist Dylan Carlson, a long time mate of Kurt Cobain.  Their albums, or at least the ones I’ve heard, consist mainly of very slow, long and grinding drones, none more so than on Earth 2: Extra Slow Frequency Edition an album utterly unlike any other. This album continues a process begun over the last couple of albums of introducing other instrumentation such as violins and cello but it is utilised very subtly. Song titles and tracks are almost irrelevant in this context; try using headphones to catch the full effect as the soundscape emerges around you. 
(70) Graham Parker & The Rumour – Squeezing Out Sparks

Sometimes life isn’t fair. Possessed of a band and songwriting skills the equal of Elvis Costello and the Attractions, Graham Parker should have at least enjoyed the same initial level of success.   Today, it seems inconceivable that both acts were laden with the “New Wave” tag when what was being offered was best pub rock England ever produced.  Squeezing Out Sparks is the band’s finest moment.  It boasts a terrific first up one-two punch of Discovering Japan and Local Girls and almost never lets up except for You Can’t Be Too Strong, a song about abortion.  Their best known single Protection is on this as well, although its B-side, a wonderful cover of The Jackson 5’s I Want You Back was not included on the original vinyl release or initial CD pressings.  Apparently, Parker and Rumour play themselves in the new comedy Life At 40 struggling to sell albums for the company run by Paul Rudd’s character.  Art imitating life?
Back home I start to put my plans into effect.  I try to adopt the user name of Stanley.K, but its taken. So is Stan.K, which I wasn’t that keen on anyway.  I try 2013: A Music Odyssey and it too ieaat its taken.  I try 2013: A Music Odyssey and its taken too.  Just for the record, I try my origianl  should have at elast es taken.  Just for the record, I try my original idea and naturally that fails.  How about a combination? 2013:A Year In The Life is rejected until I add “Of A Music Fan”.  Eureka!
Now for a user name.  In a perfect world no one would have thought of Neil.Springsteen but I dismiss that thought and don’t even try.  Then I start to think.  Why not combine diametrically opposed acts which evoke different music forms and eras?  I start on various combinations which fail.  In desperation I look at the back end of my alphabetically arranged CD collection and then I see it.  What if I use Otis [Redding] the King of Southern Soul and [Sonic] Youth, the Godfathers of today’s alternative music scene?  (I could also argue for reggae superstar [Big] Youth but Sonic Youth makes my point far more effectively. ) I type in the combination – Eureka.  By the time all the previous day’s blogs are posted, it’s late and even the night session of the tennis has ended.  I retire for the night content.

No comments:

Post a Comment