Tuesday 22 January 2013

11 January 2013 - Eight Monks A Tinkling


Another music less morning walk with Lady as I ponder the question of what to play today.  By this stage we had already seen “M” off to work because I had elected to work from home.  I am doing this in order to draft an issues paper and find that it is easier to think and write without the usual workplace distractions.  I therefore need music that will not intrude too much on the process.
My requirements for today will require long playing discs that will not cause frequent disruption through constant changing. More importantly, as I need to set aside some time for thinking, the music should ideally be instrumental as I find there is nothing more distracting than the human voice.  Long instrumental passages do not tend to distract me irrespective of whether it is a reggae dub, guitar solo, keyboard passage, electronic collage or feedback excursion.  In my experience I find this assists the thinking process.  I’m not sure how to express this but I think an instrumental passage is an exercise in abstract sound construction perfect for situations when the human brain requires a similar level of abstraction for thinking through complex issues. But add the human voice and the whole process collapses as completely and effectively as the office gossip that arrives to spread the latest scuttlebutt when you’re deep in thought.  How easy is it to pick up the thread of your thought process after the gossip has left?  Well it’s the same thing working at home if you’ve chosen your music badly except that instead of the office gossip you’ll be blaming whoever’s singing.  And if that singer has profound lyrics to work with, the disruption is magnified.  Put all of this together and it becomes reasonably clear to me that the music of the day will be jazz. 

Given that I have little interest in and no grounding or inclination towards classical music, jazz, or to slip into pedantry, instrumental jazz, is the logical choice.  Obviously there is the lack of human voice.  The second consideration is the very nature of jazz itself.  For me, the type of jazz I prefer is the sound of musical exploration.  In most instances, I sense that the artist is on a quest that starts from a mutually agreed point among the musicians and continues for as long as necessary, sometimes through darkness, until a common exit point is sensed, groped towards and eventually found.  It is no surprise to me why there are so many versions of jazz classics – to take a random example, A Night In Tunisia – which sound radically different.  In other words, I view jazz as the aural equivalent of conceptual thinking and perfect for today’s task.
But many of the classic jazz albums, at least as these were originally released, were not particularly long, even by vinyl album standards.  Even releases with bonus tracks, such as the Rudy Van Gelder Editions of the Blue Note catalogue, barely reach the hour mark, if at all.  This is where a relatively recent development is fits in.  During the last year or two, labels predominantly based in Great Britain, have been releasing 2 or 4 disc collections bringing together 3 – 8 albums by the one artist.  I’m not sure how this occurring, although I do notice that this appears to be occurring with albums released up to the early 1960’s only which makes me think that this could very well be connected to GB’s copyright laws.  (This is a complete stab in the dark and I’m not a lawyer so chances are that I’m wrong but it is interesting to speculate.)  Even more significantly, these releases, at least in Australia are sold at a very reasonable price allowing one to build up a jazz collection relatively easily.

It is to one of such releases that I’ve pulled out of my crate.  Technically speaking the title is Thelonious Monk - Eight Classic Albums.  This doesn’t necessary mean that each of the original albums were credited to him.  Two of these are another act’s release on which Monk has guested (a common occurrence in jazz circles) and a third is effectively a shared release.  Additionally, Art Blakey is the drummer on the great majority of (if not all) tracks on most of the albums, so compilers could have been justified in titling this as Thelonious Monk and Art Blakey – Eight Classic Albums.
Monk is certainly one of my favourite jazz players worthy of being mentioned in the same breath as John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Bill Evans, Charles Mingus and Keith Jarrett.  Like Evans and Jarrett, Monk is a pianist which is my jazz solo instrument of choice.  (Mingus also released an album on which he played piano.)   I’m not exactly sure why that is but I suspect that it is the instrument which is most difficult in a jazz context due to a perceived increased range of notes that could be played.  In other words, it’s the instrument in which it is easier to get lost in your exploration.  (This is more than a stab in the dark, so if anyone wants to correct me feel free.  If I’m wrong, so be it; it’s my perception, right or wrong, that I’m recording here.)

None of these albums are in the running for the title of Monk’s best album.  That crown rests firmly on the head of his seminal releases Genius Of Modern Music Vol. 1 and 2.  There is something in each of the eight albums to recommend it.  The albums are:
Monk (1954): a solid early effort on which he is accompanied on each track be either Blakey or Sonny Rollins.

Monk’s Music (1957): a great album but unsurprising given that he is accompanied by Blakely, Coltrane and Coleman Hawkins.
Thelonious Monk Plays The Music Of Duke Ellington (1955): one great of American Music plays the music of another.  This is the first of the Monk trio albums in this collection.  My preference is for Monk to play solo or in a trio because he, on occasion, could be too generous in providing room to his soloists.

The Unique Thelonious Monk (1956): once again in a trio, this time with Blakey.  Honeysuckle Rose anyone?
Mulligan Meets Monk (1957): the only Gerry Mulligan album in my collection to date with great saxophone and some nifty double bass.

Thelonious Monk And Sonny Rollins (1954): Rollins appears on only three of the five tracks on this which also boasts a who’s who of jazz drummers.
Art Blakey’s Jazz Messengers With Thelonious Monk (1957): strangely enough it is neither Blakey or Monk that stars here.  The title goes to Johnny Griffin whose sax work throughout is inspired,

Thelonious Monk Trio (1957): a solid effort with drumming from either Blakey or Max Roach. 

No comments:

Post a Comment