Tuesday 22 January 2013

12 January 2013 - 37 and Counting


The basic idea of this blog was to record what I had listened to in the course of a year.  This morning it occurred to me that I should also keep track of the quantity consumed.  Thus, starting today, the end of each posting will contain a running total of the number of releases in their entirety.  When February kicks in I’ll also add the number of days elapsed in the year.
Today’s morning activities allowed me the opportunity to listen to only one album but it’s a beauty.

(36) Elvis Costello & The Attractions – Armed Forces
Sorry to lapse into cliché but not only am I going to do it but the one I’m going to use one that is especially lazy.  In discussing this album one is practically forced to state that Elvis Costello is the Woody Allen of rock and this has nothing to do with the choice Costello’s spectacles at the time.  Armed Forces is one of the early Costello “Angry Young Man” albums which some listeners keep hoping he’ll return to in much the same way as Allen’s “Early Funny Films”.  I’ve never understood why people would want an artist to remain stagnant – it’s the shortest route to becoming irrelevant.  Once the audience thinks they know what a prolific artist will produce with the next release, they’ll eventually stop listening.  If the artist is unwilling to change their approach, the only way to keep the audience on side will be to deliberately reduce output and release new albums sparingly.  (This, I think, is the secret to AC/DC’s success among others.)  For a prolific artist like Costello this strategy would have amounted to an artistic death and, again much like Allen’s development into a tremendous director of dramas and mysteries in addition to comedies prevented his musical diversification. 

Primarily I still love and play the early Costello albums because these are great rock and roll records.  It is a mark of the strength of this part of his career that I would rank Armed Forces behind its illustrious predecessors My Aim Is True and This Year’s Model and behind its immediate successor Get Happy!  Yet this is an album that contains such standouts as Accidents Will Happen, Olivers Army and Green Shirt.  But I also love these records because these in turn started the process that’s also led to King Of America, Imperial Bedroom, North, the country albums and the collaborations with Burt Bacharach and Allen Toussaint among others.  And with his recent albums with The Imposters, a case could be made for suggesting that he has returned, in part and certainly in spirit, to the early days. 
Later in the day, before going on to some commitments with close friends I allow the afternoon sun to shine on me as I take in:

(37) The Roots – Come Alive
There is a sticker on the jewel box of this album saying “By Popular Demand Live Music From The Roots”.  This baffles me because The Roots have allowed live performances to be downloaded from their website for quite a while now.  At least I’m not baffled by their music; a magnificent mix of hip hop and soul with hints of jazz, reggae and rock.  They have a reputation as a legendary live act and this does nothing to dispel that.  How I rue the day when I didn’t see them as a festival at the National Tennis Centre about a decade ago.  (Mind you, it was a choice between them and The White Stripes.)  Having said that, there are shows that I’m heard off their website that are better, but there’s nothing wrong with this one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment