Tuesday 22 January 2013

21 January 2013 - "Just Popping Off to the Yellow Shop, Dear"


First day of the working week and I take with me some of the albums I bought over the weekend.  These were all purchased at JB HiFi stores which have been offloading old stock through bargain bins.
JB is the bane of “M”’s life during weekends.  She knows that as soon as I see one that I’m powerless to resist searching for that elusive bargain.  It is a chain that revolutionised the sale of recorded music in Melbourne.  Right from its earliest days, when it operated out of a single shop in the North Western suburb of Keilor East, it hit upon a novel idea, one that is only now dawning on the Australian Record Industry.  It is that if you sell the product for a reasonable price, you stand to have a greater chance of selling multiple albums per transaction.  Most music stores up until JB’s arrival sought to charge the highest possible price that they could for an album, and then wondered why people bought no more than a single album per transaction.  To put things into context consider this; 30 years ago the cost of a top 40 vinyl album hovered around the 8 or 9 dollar mark; today most stores will sell a top 40 CD (that presumably costs more to produce) for around 20 dollars.  I’m sure that our wages have more than doubled in the meantime.  JB was also the first chain to aggressively discount artist’s back catalogues (especially around the time the act was releasing a new album) or stock that didn’t move.

More importantly, JB has been prepared to embrace change in the music marketplace.  As far as I’m aware, it was the first chain to embrace the sale of CDs.  It also embraced DVDs as soon as these were introduced and was astute enough not to be overly enthusiastic about Videodisc or Digital Audio Tapes.  (It wasn’t crazy about pre-recorded cassettes either.) And unless my eyes are deceiving me, I think it is beginning to cut back on the amount of space for Blue Rays relative to DVDs.  That could be wishful thinking on my part.  But given I’ve made the transition from video tape to DVD, there is absolutely no way I’m going to change again to Blue Ray.  I don’t care how much of an improvement it is, Blue Ray is not going to happen. (In any case, I don’t know anyone who has made the switch.)
JB ‘s reward is that today, it is just about the only surviving music chain store in Melbourne, has expanded interstate and is listed on the Australian Stock Exchange.  Sure it diversified by selling computers, software, digital players and cameras, TV’s etc but I think it has been rewarded by loyal customers like me.  My only gripe is that stock at some stores can be quite variable; some are quite conservative while others cover a great range of acts and musical styles.  But in a way that has been a good thing because this has allowed canny independent music stores to niche market.  None of this, though, means anything to “M” who dismissively refers to it as “The Yellow Shop” after the stores' distinctive exterior colour scheme.

My first album for the day was the only one I didn’t purchase via the bargain bin;
(63) Sigur Ros – Valtari

Quite possibly Iceland’s greatest current earner of foreign currency, Sigur Ros’ most recent album comprises (for them) lush slower tracks augmented by Jonsi’s distinctive voice.  It sounds very much like an ambient album; a colleague who came into my 0ffice for advice on a matter asked who it was and commented that it sounded like “spa music” which just about said it all.  Personally, I’d prefer my Sigur Ros albums to contain a bit more tension and the requisite one or two epics.
(64) The Mountain Goats – The Sunset Trees

This is a folk rock album that addresses the heaviest of themes. Lyrically most of the tracks relate to John Darnielle’s memories of childhood abuse. It can be tough going at times but ultimately it is about survival and triumph.  As Darnielle writes in his dedication to everyone who lives with abuse, “you are going to make it out of there alive  you will live to tell your story   never live hope”.
(65) Black Box Recorder – England Made Me

This is an album I’d wanted to get my hands on for a long time.  BBR was a three piece comprising Luke Haines (previously of The Auteurs), John Moore (previously of the Jesus And Mary Chain) and Sarah Nixey.   The songs on this album combined atmospheric rock with basic programming and Nixey’s vocals to produce a sound not a million miles removed from Portishead.  It also contains their version of a most unlikely cover, Up Town Top Ranking, a song widely heralded as the first reggae hit in Britain.
(66) Deerhoof – Friend Opportunity

When I listen to an album like this I wonder about descriptions such as the one on Wikipedia that characterised Deerhoof as a “noise-rock” band. Having heard this I’m now not exactly sure what the term means but this certainly does not sound like My Bloody Valentine, Sonic Youth or The Boredoms.  On the evidence of this album, I would pitch their music as akin to the Fiery Furnaces (but with longer songs) with vocals from Shonen Knife or Sterolab. Having said that, this is an intriguing album dominated by its lengthy closing  track, Look Away.  In fact it was so intriguing, I played it twice.
I get home and, after writing this, start to research how to write a blog.  Realising that I’ll need a blog title and a user name to preserve my anonymity, I give myself 24 hours of thinking time.

No comments:

Post a Comment