Sunday 3 March 2013

1 March 2013 (Day 60) – iPod Death Matches 4 & 5

I knew that it was going to be a long day behind my terminal ands so I figure it’s time to decide the fate on yet more albums on my iPod during the day.

iPod Space Death Match #4 – The Arcade Fire
I’ve kept all three Arcade Fire albums on my iPod as they’ve been released.  The main reason for this is that I can never make my mind up about them. But this is the first time I’ve played all three of the albums after one another.

(156) The Arcade Fire – Funeral
Like many debut albums, this album is an ambitious mash up of styles as the band relishes the first (and possibly at the back of their minds, thinking only) time in the studio.  An enthusiastic and pleasing listen, the band wisely back loaded the album with its three best tracks, Haiti, Rebellion Lies and In The Backseat, the latter two hinting at a capacity of producing epic numbers.

(157) The Arcade Fire – Neon Bible
Oh dear, why hadn’t I removed this one earlier?  The opening number Black Mirror basically picks up at where Funeral ended.  After that promising opening the band overplays its hand seemingly aiming to produce an album full of epic tracks each laden with lyrics straining for significance.   I’m prepared to chalk everything down to the time honoured second album blues until the final two tracks.  No Cars Go and the wildly overblown My Baby Is A Cave condemn the album to a likely very long period in the wilderness before I’ll consider playing it again.

(158) The Arcade Fire – The Suburbs
Musically this adopts a lighter tone which is welcome but ultimately grates against much of the lyrical content.  A sort of conceptual piece about life in the, presumably Canadian, suburbs, I would have thought that there wouldn’t have been much of a market for it.  But this sold reasonably well and won a couple of Grammys including album of the year; I suspect most of the purchasers may have been punters who caught the band live where I’m reasonably informed they’re a totally different proposition. 

Verdict: I’m keeping Funeral and consigning the others to the library.
iPod Space Death Match #5 – African Dub All-Mighty Chapters 1 and 2

Chapters 3 and 4 will remain on my iPod forever.  The question is whether Chapters 1 & 2 will stay with them.
(159) Joe Gibbs And The Professionals - African Dub All-Mighty Chapter 1
(160) Joe Gibbs And The Professionals - African Dub All-Mighty Chapter 2

There are more differences between both of these Chapters compared to Chapters 3 & 4 than there are between them.  There are none of the crazy sound effects which distinguished Chapters 3 & 4 and a reduced emphasis on the horns.  The guitars appeared to be emphasised on Chapter 1 to great effect.  Chapter 2 starts well but is fairly undistinguished by its end.
Verdict: I’m keeping Chapter 1 for the time being.

No comments:

Post a Comment