Thursday 21 March 2013

19 March 2013 (Day 78) – On The Road Again

Another day on the road and another chance to play the type of music “M” hates with the added, though remote, possibility of scaring cows, sheep and crops along the way.  It was also a chance to counter program my listening against yesterday’s soul revue.   

My trips require a bit of planning because, ideally, I would like to get to my destination without any unnecessary stops.  Last time I had to stop to scroll through my iPod and was determined that not reoccur.  This time I decide to have the next album set up in it so that as soon as the first album ends, I can pick up the iPod, click to get me out of that album and then go straight to the first track on the next.  In other words, just two clicks without having to take my eyes off the road.
I’ve made this discovery as a result of wearing out the CD player in the car.  As I plan to get a new car before year’s end, I’ve decided not to replace it.  Instead I’ve got one of those devices that you plug into both the iPod and the car cigarette lighter and which enables you to play music from it through the car speakers on a radio frequency.  This device has a lengthy cord so it sits far closer to me than the CD player, adding to driver safety provided you’ve prepared yourself beforehand.

And so on to the day’s listening which commenced with an album from the masters of stoner rock;
(217) Monster Magnet – Powertrip

This is 1970s era Hawkwind as retooled by Americans.  A long slow build up heralds the start of the magnificent Crop Circle, a track I heard for the first time when I had the pleasure of watching these guys on the main stage of the Pukkelpop Festival in Belgium in 1998. There is a case to be made that this is their best album, given that it also contains the title track, the incredibly funky (for stoners anyway) Space Lord, Bummer Temple Of Your Dreams and Atomic Clock.
(218) Various Artists - American Hardcore.  The History Of American Punk Rock 1980 – 1986

This was the album I wanted to play on my last trip only to be stymied by my re-import troubles.  It is, apparently, the soundtrack to a film documentary and this is where I have a minor problem.  If you use the definitive article as has been here, the onus is on you to make this the definitive collection because this is “The History”.  If you can’t get clearance for some of key acts from the era, as I suspect is the case here, such as the Dead Kennedys and The Germs, the best claim that can be made is that this is “A History”.  But I'm being pedantic.  This provides a fine overview of the scene including acts such as Minor Threat, Bad Brains, Flipper, Black Flag, D.O.A and the Circle Jerks.  But as is inevitably the case with compilations like this, it is the acts you haven’t heard that grab the attention.  That was certainly the case with me being tremendously impressed by the contributions from Battalion Of Saints, 7 Seconds and Really Red.
(219) The Sex Pistols – Filthy Lucre Live

Never Mind The Bollocks, Here’s The Sex Pistols is an acknowledged classic but this is my Sex Pistols album of choice.  This is the live recording of their comeback gig at Finsbury Park London on 23 June 1996.  It reveals the Pistols for what they truly are, essentially pub rockers who played much faster than usual.  More importantly, it demonstrates just how crucial Glen Matlock is to the band as his basslines provide the songs with the bottom end that they really needed.  (If you’ve ever seen or heard live footage of the band with Sid Vicious on board, you’ll know what I mean.)  The other advantage is that the album functions as a live best of because tracks not on Bollocks such as Satellite, the cover of (I’m Not Your) Steppin’ Stone and Did You No Wrong get a run here.  Why their performance of No Fun from the gig was not included is a mystery.  Bodies, God Save The Queen, New York, EMI, Pretty Vacant and Anarchy In The UK are all sensational inspiring the audience (and yours truly behind the wheel) to sing along with gusto. 

No comments:

Post a Comment