Wednesday 20 March 2013

18 March 2013 (Day 77) – A Soul Bargain

It’s amazing what you can miss when you don’t look closely enough.  For a few months now, I’ve seen an Atlantic Records box in some CD stores.  I didn’t bother to examine it closely because the cover had the classic Atlantic records logo and I assumed that it was another repackaging of their great 1947-1974 compilations which I already own.  A box set of those albums was released about 10 years ago which had practically the same cover so I felt justified about not examining the package more closely.  Never was Benny Hill’s “never assume because it will make an ass of u and me” gag more appropriate.

Yesterday I’m in a JB HiFi, despairing of finding something to take advantage of their 20% off weekend, when I came across this new box and the small print finally caught my eye.  “Soul Legends. 20 Original Albums From The Iconic Atlantic Label”.  What did this mean?  The box sides were identical and the rear had a different look featuring a number of album covers.  I then looked at the bottom.  There I found listed 20 different albums including some classics of the genre.  My goodness, 20 different albums for $86, but $68 when I apply the discount. ? And I don’t have any of them.   Sold!
I take my new purchase home, rip off the plastic and take off the lid.  There sitting in the box are 20 albums in cardboard slip covers.  This is not an Original Album Classics el cheapo job.  Each of the covers has a spine with the album and artist clearly visible.  Not only that, Atlantic/WEA/Rhino records Art Department re-sized the cover artwork so that liner notes, track titles, those commentaries found on 60s albums, everything, is easily readable.  There’s even a booklet.  Great job everyone but why didn’t you create a more distinctive cover

With that trivial gripe out the way, I started ploughing through the albums today, starting with the stone cold dead classics:
(210) Ray Charles – What I’d Say

I already owned all of the music on this one courtesy of Atlantics wonderful The Birth Of Soul box set, but it’s great to have Rockhouse (Pts 1 & 2), Roll With Me Baby, That’s Enough and the immortal title track as they originally released.
(211) Booker T & The M.G’s – Green Onions

The magnificent title track, one of the greatest rock instrumentals ever released, dwarfs just about the rest of the album, especially what I presumed to be a follow up titled, Mo’ Onions.  But there is fun listening to a range of covers as disparate as I Got A Woman, Twist And Shout, Lonely Avenue and, would you believe, Aker Bilk’s Stranger On A Shore.
(212) Otis Redding – Otis Blue

For reasons I can’t fathom this is subtitled “Otis Redding Sings Soul”, surely as ridiculous a guide to contents as say, Exodus – Bob Marley Sings Reggae.  But this is its only fault.  A scared text in Southern Soul Music, it contains Respect, his take of Change Gonna Come, I’ve Been Loving You Too Long, Shake, You Don’t Miss Your Water and his wonderful cover of The Rolling Stones Satisfaction.  Nothing more needs to be said.
(213) Aretha Franklin – Lady Soul

This is another sacred text this time from Soul Woman #1.  This one contains Chain Of Fools, (You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman, SINCE You’ve Been Gone (Sweet Sweet Baby) and her take on People Get Ready.  But for me the biggest surprise is the stupendous Good To Me As I Am To You, an Aretha track I don’t think I’d heard previously.  Taken by the magnificent guitar work on the track I looked at the liner notes and discovered that that this was played by “Eric Clapton of “Cream”  “.
(214) Sam & Dave – Hold On I’m Comin’

The title track is just about their best known and loved track.  This also has You Don’t Know Like I Know, I Take What I Want and the brilliant ballad Don’t Make It So Hard On Me.
(215) Wilson Pickett – In The Midnight Hour

The title track is the big hit on this one but, unlike many soul albums of the era named after the hit track, this one is wall to wall quality.  A Teardrop Will Fall, Don’t Fight It, Take This Love I’ve Got and Let’s Kiss & Make Up are just as good.
(216) The Drifters – Under The Boardwalk

For me, The Drifters are the acceptable side of male vocal harmonising and are far superior to just about any do-wop act you could name. The key is probably the songs.  This album alone has the title track, On Broadway, Up On The Roof, I Feel Good All Over and In The Land Of Make Believe just for starters.
Seven down, thirteen to go.  That won’t happen tomorrow though as I have a work road trip which means the opposite side of the sonic coin.

No comments:

Post a Comment