Saturday 9 March 2013

8 March 2013 (Day 67) – (Dance) Music For Working

For the most part, whatever is designated as “dance music” has always baffled me.  It doesn’t matter whether it was 70s disco or more recent forms such as house, trace, techno, etc, my basic problem has always been that I cannot find a way to dance to it.

I think we humans have an inbuilt, instinctive sense that allows us to discern rhythmic patterns.  It, almost more than anything, allows us to move accordingly, establishing key moments to do things (say, raising your arm John Travolta like to the heavens) that don’t occur at ridiculous times on the dance floor.   Thus, the key to dancing for me, whether voluntarily or not, has always been the beat. It provides me with the necessary aural directions; when to move my feet, arms, torso etc.  On the dance floor I get into the beat, recognise it, understand its patterns and plot out in my mind where my various body parts are going to go.
This is where my problems with “dance” music begin.  The beat is so persistent, so unyielding, so unrelenting, thump, thump, thump, boom, boom, boom, doof, doof, doof, that I experience a complete and utter sense of disorientation.  My brain shuts down, unable to detect anything in the beat that makes me want to sway in time to it.  I will then adopt a frustrated stance on the dance floor as I literally don’t know how to move.  Invariably I have to account for my presence there and instinctively adopt the headbangers stance and thrust my head up and down.  This is also a visible sign to hardened clubbers who immediately understand my predicament.  Or at least that’s what I’ve convinced myself.   Judging from people I’ve seen moving to “dance” music, I suspect that they’ve either ignored the beat altogether (making for some bizarre scenes on the dancefloor) or have taken such copious amounts of alcohol or drugs that they are dancing to a different beat completely. 

Unless “M”, to whom dancing comes naturally and gracefully, is dragging me onto a dancefloor, something far more fundamental needs to occur before I’ll even consider an expedition there.  Basically there has to be something about the music that moves me emotionally to want to dance and this obviously has to do with the quality of the music being played.  This is my other problem with a lot of “dance” music; it’s complete and utter anonymity.  For example, neighbours near my place, traditionally have a New Year’s Eve do each year, although mercifully we were spared one this year.  Their choice of music is “doof doof” my term (and probably many others) for exactly the type of anonymous relentless sound that I have in mind here.  It is largely instrumental, sounds like its being churned out of a computer and lacks any form of soul or emotion.  Above everything else it has a relentless pile driving beat that never seems to vary or even stop; most of the time I have trouble even distinguishing between songs.
I remember at one party a few years ago a period of audible silence after which Daft Punk’s wonderful One More Time was played before more silence and the “doof doof” seemingly restarting at the point it was before it was rudely interrupted.  The Daft Punk track was a blissful relief that neatly encapsulated the difference.  There are lyrics to the song and so a human (if electronically manipulated) voice but more importantly was able to convey a sense of joy and humanity that the “doof doof” could never hope to match.

As this anecdote reveals there is dance music that I actually like and which will make me move.  And it is not just onto the dancefloor.  Over the years I’ve found that the relentless beats, blips and beeps provide a wonderful backdrop when I’m faced with a task of a repetitious nature.  This was the case today, as I was faced with a far bit of data inputting, double checking and basic accounting.  In this environment I’m able to get my mental faculties to operate in an orderly, regimented manner and I’ve found that this form of music actually helps me deal with this scenario.  This is not heaping false praise on any of the artists or the recordings below.  Look at it this way, they are all records that make me move whether on the dancefloor or, in a completely unintended way, at work.
(177) The Crystal Method – Vegas

This is one of my favourite dance albums, a sensational rendering of what is probably a totally digital soundscape but invested with memorable tunes and enough vocal work to keep you thinking.  It starts off with their original take on Trip Like I Do, one of the more average tracks here but lifted into the stratosphere when reworked by Filter for the soundtrack of Spawn.  All of the up tempo numbers – Busy Child, Keep Hope Alive and its surging intertwining with Vapour Trail and Now Is The Time – are all sensational.  The remaining tracks provide some light and shade and reductions in the tempo.
(178) The Chemical Brothers – We Are The Night

Instead of choosing one of the better known albums such as Dig Your Own Hole or Surrender, I opted for this lower profile release.  It is quite a diverse albums encompassing the traditional Chemical Brothers attack on tracks like Do It Again, All Rights Reserved, a couple of tracks which betray quite a debt to Kraftwerk (Saturate and Das Spiegel) and even a track that could be termed a novelty number.  The latter is Salmon Dance with hilarious instructions courtesy of Fatlip.
(179) Mylo – Destroy Rock & Roll

Mylo is the stage name for a Scottish musician and record producer named Myles MacInnes.  This is effectively is only commercially released album which consists mostly of chilled out tunes built on a range of intriguing samples.  In My Arms is arguably the most recognisable of these being constructed from Kym Carnes’ Bette Davis Eyes but the pick is very nearly the magisterial Need  You Tonite which uses, of all tunes, Judie Tzuke’s Stay With Me Til Dawn .  But absolutely everything is overshadowed by the title track which uses what sounds like an American preacher praying for the destruction of Rock & Roll, including such unlikely acts as Men At Work and Band Aid in addition to the usual suspects.  Listen also to how the preacher mispronounces some of the acts.
(180) Fatboy Slim – Better Living Through Chemistry

If only all instrumental dance albums could sound like this.  This was Norman Cook’s debut album as the Fatboy and I think he’s yet to beat it, You’ve Come A Long Way Baby and its host of singles and videos included.  Every track is based on a pounding beat but all have their own personality.  Song For Lindy, Going Out Of My Head (sampling a cover of The Who’s I Can’t Explain), and Punk To Funk are the highlights but really any track could have been selected.
(181) The Prodigy – The Fate Of The Land

This is almost critic proof given the existence of so many iconic tracks including Smack My Bitch Up, Breathe, Firestarter and Cimbatize.  The closing track Fuel My Fire samples The Cosmic Psychos Last Cause to great effect as well as providing Bill Walsh with what I hope are considerable well deserved royalties.

No comments:

Post a Comment