Saturday 24 August 2013

17/18 August 2013 (Days 229/230) – Everyone Wants To Be The (Wedding) DJ

Ever attended a Winter Friday night wedding?  “M” and I did so leading into this weekend.  And we paid the price.  Saturday was a complete wipeout and Sunday wasn’t much better.  It also meant that I didn’t listen to anything.  For once, I’m grateful to the AFL for scheduling the Bulldogs for a twilight Sunday match.  Given the maximum time to renew my strength, I recover sufficiently to see the Doggies best win for the season to date, an 18 point victory over Adelaide. 

At half time I realised that I haven’t noted down the play list for the tracks played over the stadium PA. Not that I would have been able to do so if I was alert to the task, the songs seemingly being current or recent pop hits, presumably by pretty young things destined to be forgotten by the end of this posting. I’m not sure who selects the tracks, but I’m reasonably aware that a certain tension must go into this.  To which part of the crowd’s “demographic” do you aim your selection?  Personally, I don’t care.  In fact, I’d rather there is no music.  Sport, true sport like football shouldn’t rely on music to create atmosphere.  This is something that is created by the combination of the players on the field and the fans in the stands. One is a true reflection of the other; the crowd, for example, will not be at fever pitch during a one sided match and no amount of music played pre or post game is going to influence the overall mood.  In fact, this is when people are most likely to complain about the presence of music, especially if played at maximum volume.
But a wedding and the attendant reception are different beasts.  Let’s take the wedding ceremony first.  Have you ever been to a memorable wedding where music didn’t play a role?  I struggle to think of one I’ve attended where this was the case.  Weddings or commitment ceremonies are supposed to be celebrations of a couple’s mutual love in front of a selection of family, friends and the occasional hangers on.  Music should fit right on in.  Taped music has been played at every non-religious or Registry ceremony I’ve ever attended.  And so it was on Friday night, when the wedding was held in a marquee at the reception venue.  The bride entered the marquee to the strains of Guy Sebastian’s first hit Angels Brought Me Here.   It’s a bit of a schmaltzy tune to be tune, but a wedding is the one time I’m prepared to put my critical facilities behind me, unless a really inappropriate track has been chosen.  Mind you, if you’re planning to do this (especially if that tune were to be, say, Sepultura’s Roots Bloody Roots), I’d love an invite or to see the vision.  But, I digress.   By the time the Sebastian tune has finished, I find myself marvelling at just how well the lyrics seemed to fit the occasion.

Of course taped music wasn’t used at my wedding to “M”.  We engaged a female singer who was able to play the church’s organ.  We met with her and selected a nice program, or rather “M” did.  My only contribution to this process was to automatically veto anything written by Andrew Lloyd Webber.  Well, there are some things that are too schmaltz, even for weddings at least in my mind.  On the day, the music was just about the highlight of the ceremony.  It was the one extravagance we permitted and it was money well spent.
But where our Wedding and Friday’s were identical was in relation to the reception. At both we engaged a DJ to spin records (alright, program mp3’s) to tempt people onto the dance floor.  In both instances, the DJ was someone employed by the wedding venue.  And in both instances we put our faith in the DJ figuring that they will know what works through their personal experience.  This was a lesson I learnt from our reception DJ.  I spoke to her whilst finalising terms for her engagement and the only time I queried her was when she indicated that the first track she’d play after the bridal waltz was A Hooked On Classics mix of early 50’s/60’s rock hits.  She told me to trust her as it always worked and, incredible as it may seem, she was right on the money.  The dance floor went from just the six of us (that’s is “M” and I and our parents) to jam packed!

The only music which the DJ didn’t select was the bridal waltz.  On Friday, that tune was the Bryan Adams and Barbara Streisand duet I Finally Found Someone.  Lyrically it’s a fine choice but was it really appropriate given the couple was together for 10 years previously?  At our wedding, “M” talked me out of my original choice, Bruce Springsteen’s beautiful If I Should Behind. In this song the singer declares his eternal love to his wife, urging her that “if I should fall behind, wait me for me”.   I figured the lyric would apply to both sides in times of trouble but “M” vetoed it, pointing out that it could be interpreted that  I was expecting to fail.  I think she also sensed I put it up because I wanted to fit Bruce into the day, and in this respect, she was correct.  In the end I selected an instrumental  (Love Me With All Your Heart by Chet Baker And The Mariachi Brass) for the actual  waltz so no one could read anything  into the lyrics and followed this with Van Morrison’s original version of Have I Told You Lately? for when we invited our parents to the floor.
As for dancing selections, it would appear that unorthodoxy rules.  I’ve already indicated how our DJ started her set.  Friday’s DJ started with Marvin Gaye/Tammi Temmell’s Ain’t No Mountain High Enough followed by Ray Charles’ Hit The Road Jack.  Very effective indeed.  He also pulled off some interesting segues, the best of which was taking perennial dance floor favourite, The B-52’S Love Shack and mutating it into The Jackson’s Can You Feel It by marrying Keith Stickland’s inspired guitar work on the former to a lone guitar scratching you can pick up at key points of the latter.   But of course there are songs which must be played at all costs as they appeared at both receptions such as Love Shack, Nutbush City Limits (where did that dance come from?), The Macarena (will this track ever die!), Lionel Richie’s All Night Long and many many more.  The only difference seemed to be that our DJ managed to keep large numbers on the floor.  In fairness, this might be due to the other reception being on a Friday night.  As I overhead one of the guests say, it’s difficult to go flat out on a Friday night when you know you’ve got to get up early the following morning to do shopping, get kids off to sport, etc.  Having said that, Friday’s DJ did attempt to incorporate the hits of the day all of which flopped and one – Robin Thicke’s Blurred Lines – managed to empty it completely......

..... all of which proves absolutely nothing other than demonstrating whilst everyone would like to be the DJ, the task would appear to be a thankless and difficult one.  Sort of like trying to select music to play at a stadium.

No comments:

Post a Comment