Tuesday 6 August 2013

30 July 2013 (Day 211) – Starting My Non Existent C90 Mix Tape

It was another shortened day at work as I struggled to overcome the effects of my illness.  Prior to departing, I had a few meetings, etc and so had time to play only one album

(# 535) Alice Coltrane – Journey In Satchidanada (1970)
The wife of jazz master John Coltrane was an accomplished musician who played piano in his final group and also released a number of highly regarded recordings of her own which featured her harp playing.  (That’s harp as in the stringed instrument, not the harmonica.)  This is probably her best known album owing to the opening cut and title track which is a tribute of sorts to her Swami.  It’s a wonderfully serene track, but importantly, not of the type frequently used to parody hippies, yoga, Indian mysticism or all three.   Something About John Coltrane was obviously inspired by her then recently deceased husband and contains fine work by Pharaoh Saunders in John’s absence.   Indian influences and instrumentation dominates thae wonderful closer Isis And Osiris.

I’ve owned this album for a number of years now.  From the moment I first heard it, I knew that the title track would be the first track on only C90 cassette mix tape that I would eventually produce.  It’s the serenity of the track that draws me to it making for an appropriate and unsettling introduction to Dave Grohl’s power drumming that marks the start of the compilation’s second track, Nirvana’s Scentless Apprentice (from In Utero).   I’ve played that combination on many occasions; the way the two connect is so powerful that I still haven’t decided what will follow it.
In starting that mythical tape in this fashion, I want anyone who has read Nick Hornby’s book High Fidelity, or seen John Cusack’s movie adaption, to understand that l have not been influenced by the rules of compiling a mix tape that he outlines.  My own personal approach in compiling a tape is to ignore all rules other than one guiding principle.  It is that each track should be programmed as a reaction to the one that precedes it.  Ideally that can mean a clash of music style, lyrical content, tempo, etc but the reaction can also be something that extends or compliments the predecessor.  Each side of the tape should also have a definite start and end (i.e ensuring these react to each other), and the final track should hark back to the opener (once again a reaction) in some way.  In my latest mental version of the tape, the final track is Sun O)))’s 16 minute opus Alice. Although an instrumental like Journey In Satchidanada it ploughs a completely different musical path but also binding the tracks together is that Sun O))) track is a tribute to Alice Coltrane.

Another reason I wanted to start the tape with this track lies in that it jazz, a form of music that I love and would otherwise have difficulty inserting into the song sequence. Even more importantly is that the track highlights the harp, one of the least featured instruments (Alice Coltrane and Joanna Newsome apart) in my collection. My thought is that anyone thinking they would have a handle on my musical taste would immediately be thrown into a state of confusion and anyone without a frame of reference would remain non the wiser for the duration of the track.  In either scenario, this would magnify the impact of the Nirvana track as it kicks in. 
A key to my approach was going to be my suspicion that the great majority of listeners are unfamiliar with this magnificent piece of music.  Unfortunately, and to my great annoyance, in recent years the track has started to pop up in some compilations.  It is reportedly a favourite of Paul Weller’s who has apparently included it in no less than three separate compilations of his. This connection might also explain why it appears as the opening track on the CD soundtrack  the Glastonbury Concert documentary.  But I will not resile!  It (and the Nirvana Track) will kick off that tape if I could ever compile it to my satisfaction.  All I need to do is factor in the Sun O))) track, The Flaming Groovies Shake Some Action,  something by Sonic Youth, Otis Redding and The Boss (all obviously), Arthur Conley’s Sweet Soul Music, Dylan’s Changing Of The Guard, Pere Ubu’s Non Alignment Pact, Faust’s Krautrock, Son House’s John The Relevator (for a long time the opening track until I found the Coltrane track), a track by The Saints (either I’m Stranded, This Perfect Day or Know Your Product), The Stone’s sledgehammer version of Street Fighting Man from the Nasty Music bootleg, Led Zeppelin’s Kashmir, Cold Chisel's Houndog, Aretha Franklin’s version of The Weight, an example of King Tubby’s dub genius, The Stooges Search And Destroy, Max Romero’s War Inna Babylon, The Fall’s How I Wrote Elastic Man, The Deftones’ Pink Maggit, The Go Between’s Apology Accepted, Johnny Cash’s version of Hurt, Lou Reed’s The Blue Mask, The Replacements’ Answering Machine, Come’s Off To One Side, the Pixies Gouge Away, Patti Smith’s  Gloria, The Sex Pistols God Save The Queen, The Screaming Trees’ Gospel Plow, Pavement’s Cut Your Hair, The Supersuckers’ Born With A Tail,  Van Morrison’s Wonderful Remark, Faith No More’s Epic, Primal Scream’s Accelerator, Radio Birdman’s New Race, The Powdermonkey’s Straight Until Morning,  The Black Crowes’ Remedy, Television’s live cover of The Stones’ Satisfaction (hear it on The Blow Up), The Supremes Reflection, Elvis Presley’s If I Can Dream, Husker Du’s You Can Live At Home, Neil Young’s Campaigner, Pink Floyd’s Time, the version of Metallica’s Masters Of Puppets from the S+M album, the long version James Brown’s Say It Loud (I’m Black And I’m Proud), The Chemical Brothers Private Psychedelic Reel, the unadorned version of The Beatles While My Guitar Gently Weeps from Anthology 3, The Afghan Whigs’ Faded, Richard Hell’s (I Belong To) The Blank Generation,  the live version of AC/DC’s For Those About To Rock (We Salute You) from the Backtracks box set in front of a crowd of crazed Moscowvites………

No comments:

Post a Comment